95 jeep cheorkee brakes

philip29

hey my left front caplier locked up going down the road , just seein if there a way to release it. or do i need to get a new caplier

You can usually release it by opening the bleeder c_ck (valve), and gently prying (I use a big screwdriver) the pad away from the disc. Or use a C-clamp or sometimes (like I do) a really big pair of pliers. It will spew a little brake fluid. Brake fluid is some nasty stuff and can take paint off. I use a six point socket to intially looseen a brake bleeder valve, then a wrench to loosen and tighten.
Never release the brake pedal with the bleeder open, never let the master brake cylinder reservoir run dry. Getting air in the system can be a real pain, especially with ABS.
I clean out the hole in the brake bleeder c_ck especially if it doesn't have the rubber cap on it anymore.
Then you have to figure out why it locked down in the first place. A common cause is a tear n the rubber boot for the piston. Mud or water gets in there and causes rust in the piston bore. Sometimes the hard brake line gets flattened and acts like a one way valve, Sometimes the rubber brake line separates (it is made in layers) and acts like a one way valve.
Bent caliper rods can also cause binding.
Usually when you release the brake the caliper piston actually backs off a little, there is little or no pressure on the pad. If there is too much pressure on the pad, it makes heat, things expand and it starts a chain reaction of heat and expansion. The brake fluid heats up and expands adding to the problem.
Sometimes a warped disc can start the heat cycle.
But like I said, it is often as simple as a caliper piston full of mud.

Last edited:
Back