how much would it cost to replace the front wheel bearing on a 1996 jeep grand cherok

If you can do it yourself I would think you could get the bearings, race and seals for somewhere around 30 bucks if you get them at Advance Auto or Napa. About twice that if you go to Jeep. If you replace them yourself make sure to pack them really good with axle grease, which if you dont have a can of, will increase your outlay. It is not that hard to do, however if you have never done it before you need to get a good repair manual. If you are really not that handy you may be better off to take it to the shop as replacing a front spindle would really suck if you screw it up.

If you can do it yourself I would think you could get the bearings, race and seals for somewhere around 30 bucks if you get them at Advance Auto or Napa. About twice that if you go to Jeep. If you replace them yourself make sure to pack them really good with axle grease,
Dude, that Grand Cherokee axle has unit bearings, no race or seals or serviceable bearings to work with. It's all a sealed unit on each side and they run $125-$150 each at the parts stores. Pretty easy to replace yourself.

Yeah my bad. I didnt bother to look for the parts before I answered. Sometimes something you think would be a simple fix, someone has totally screwed up. What has worked since autos were invented is not good enough I guess. I just looked at Advance's website and they list the bearing units for about 95 bucks per. Thanks and I stand corrected.

Replacement hub bearings on these rigs frequently go out, particularly with lift and larger tires. The OE Mopar version is about 25% more cost, but I've found will last around 3x or more in miles and abuse.

Talk to your dealer...seems like they are around $140 at AutoZone and around $175 at the dealership if memory serves.

Kevin
KevinsOffroad.com

replacing the hub assembly is a very simple job, remove the tire, remove the brake caliper, slide the rotor off, remove the three bolts holding the hub to the axle, remove the axle nut, take a hammer and gently persuade hub to fall off. 5 bolts and 1 nut, the nut is a 35mm i believe, reassemble in reverse order.

i just did my hub assembly (but on a cherokee,not grand)..it's still the same way.it was my first time too,after figuring out getting the assembly of knuckle it got real easy...3 12 point 13mm bolts,my axle nut was 36mm (should still be the same size) and what ever size the caliper bolts are..

i found my hub assembly on ebay for $32/free shipping too..

Thats the trick, getting hub assembly off. I just did my u joints and had to get a puller to get the hub off. One pull and the hub came off but left the bearing on the nuckle. So after pounding for the second time from the back side the bearing let go. But had to replace the whole hub asembly. $128. from NAPA

Slide hammers commonly pull the bearing assembly apart, so I've found it easiest to back out the three 13mm hub bolts about 1/8" at a time and tap the head of them with a hammer. A socket over the bolt head helps protect it while tapping. This slowly works the hub out of the steering knuckle without damaging the hub, great if you need to reuse the hub.

since i was replacing my hub assembly,i just used a good chisel and a 3lb hammer along the hub (just where hub meets the knuckle.) no damage to knuckle if you hold at just the right angle.

Well I will admit it was my mistake. I forgot to put the spindle nut back on before I put the puller on so my bad...Live and learn. Ill know better on the other side..But will be replacing the hub assembly with a new one anyway, Just need to use lots of antiseez, so stuff dont get stuck!! LOL {in a perfect world} Its fun to fix s**t though even when it dont go perfect. If you have the love for Jeep,s and building them then keep gettin dirty and Jeep on..Some stuff though just makes you nuts, and all I can say is "put the hammer down have a cup of your chioce" and look at jeep and say to yourself, "This things gunna look awsome" then get back under there and fix the B**ch becous its not gunna fix itself...Have fum be safe. Wear safety glasses, I took mine off for a min. and im still rubbing my eye.....

Back