HELP! Peugeot BA10 5-speed manual transmission

mikeyost

i own a 1988 jeep cherokee wagoneer and i am having problems with my transmission.
the truck is equiped with 4L inline 6 engine.

i read some reviews on the Peugeot BA10 5-speed manual transmission and its the worst transmission ever used. they only used it from 1987 to 1989 because it sucked so bad. the transmission usually goes about 160,000 km and dies. im lucky i got up to 200,000km.

Now im wondering on what kind of trasnmission is compatible with this jeep cherokee.
i dont want to find the same Peugeot BA10 5-speed manual transmission and put it back in because i know it will die again soon. if you have any ideas on what transmissions are compatible with my truck please let me know
feel free to email me at freestyleplaya@hotmail.com

mike
Thank You
:-? [addsig]

You are correct in your assumptions about the BA10...it is very widely scorned. The cheapest way to eliminate the BA10 is to swap in an AX-15. Here is a good writeup from someone who did just that on his XJ.

http://www.jeeptech.com/convtrans/ax15swap.html

It should be a pretty straightforward swap and you can use your same transfercase but you will have to change the input gear (not really a big deal). The engine bolt pattern is the same but you will need to get an AX15 bellhousing because the BA is different on the transmission side. The writeup should cover everything for you to do the swap. One other thing...make sure you get an AX15 from an XJ (not YJ or TJ) because the Tcase clocking is different from the cherokee to the wrangler. Hope that helps...[addsig]

THANK YOU VERY MUCH. I go to high school and i am currently taking out the transmission. it does sound like a lot of work to change over to a AX-15 do you think its worth it or should i just stick with the same transmission. i found the same transmission for 400 cdn. [addsig]

I probably wouldn't put a peugeot back in...trust me it is garbage. Find an AX-15 and swap it out...it shouldn't be too bad if you can get all the parts you need at the same time (like from the same vehicle at a wrecker). On the other hand if you have limited funds you could swap the used BA10 in until you could find a good AX15 + parts to do the swap, but make sure you have no question on the transmission's condition before you put it in...if in doubt split the case and do a visual inspection...look for shavings and brass flecks from the synchros. Make sure the shafts turn in each gear with no noise. [addsig]

AAAAAAAAAH MAN I have finally got the exhaust out which was crap because the bolts were rusted on it which I had to torch them off. I'm finally going to be taking out the transmission tomorrow I just hope I can remember how to put the whole thing back together again. The reason why it’s been taking me so long is because I only get to work on it an hour a day in the shop in high school.

I'm hoping for it to be an easy problem to fix but from all the reviews I have read it sounds like the whole transmission is scued. I found the same transmission for 400 bucks, but could not find the AX-15, I phoned like 30 places and only one had the Peugeot BA10 5-speed manual transmission which is poo!

Frick so much work… why put such a good engine in a vehicle and such a poo transmission, WHY!

Thanks RayOvac i appreciate the advice, i am trying to find a AX-15 but spring break is coming up and i would love to have my truck. I live in british columbia where all the pimp mountains are at so having a truck is a must.

any more advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you
[addsig]

I got the AX 15 with bellhousing, transfer case with spline 23, clutch and pressure plate.
he said theirs not cross member, can i just use my old cross member? what else do you think i need? i havnt bought it yet. he told me the ax-15 is coming out of a Jeep XJ like you said.
can you think of anything else i should be asking for? before i buy it this weekend[addsig]

I think the cross member is different...you will need one from an XJ with an AX15...I don't think that yours will work.[addsig]

Do you think you can give me a list of supplys i should be asking for?
so for i have these items.
1. AX-15 Transmission
2. BellHousing
3. Clutch
4. Pressure Plate
5. Transfer Case

can you give me a "WHAT I NEED LIST"
please, i'm buying this transmission this weekend and i have no clue what i need!
if you can please do some research for me. i dont want to run into much trouble doing the switch

thank you [addsig]

Just check out the writeup link that I gave you. That guy did the same swap you are about to do and he listed all the parts he needed. More writeups are out there...do a search on google for "AX-15 swap" or "AX15 swap".[addsig]

It would be best if you could install a new clutch assembly when you change the transmission..have the flywheel surfaced...and use a high quality pressureplate/disc assembly ...NOT a El-cheapo Remanufactured unit...The cost difference is marginal. At the very least install a new release bearing... it would be a pain to do all this work and have the clutch take a dump in a short time...

Good Luck, Dawg[addsig]

i have a new clutch and pressure plate, but i read all thoughs reviews and i dont understand what they're talking about. this is what i know i need so far

"what i need list"
1. Shifter
2. Transmission Cross Member
3. Transmission mount

"i have list"
1. AX15 transmission
2. pressure plate
3. clutch
4. bellhousing
5. transfer case with 23 spline

what else do i need ?[addsig]

You don't necessarily need an all new transfer case, but can change the NP231 from 21spline input to 23spline input to match the output of the AX15.

Check your Peugeot BA10/5 output, it's reported some have the 23 spline. Contact Advance Adapters or Novak, they can help you get the input spline count and length right.[addsig]

If you have to use a Peugeot BA10/5, it's not all that bad as everybody lets on. I had one for 150,000 + miles, some of them behind a 350 engine, with no problems. It has a worse reputation than what's deserved.[addsig]

Back