89 jeep noisy starter

skullfisher

I have owned this 89jeep cherokee for 5 yrs and it always had a noisy starter. It would sound like it wasn't going to start and sound a little choppy but if i stayed on the key it would always start, so i replaced the starter and it still happened oh well no big deal just embarissing. Last year my ignition switch went so i replaced it and now i have been adjusting it several times and it still starts choppy and sometimes dosent start at all and just sounds like the starter gear is missing the flywheel. I have a tilt wheel and if i raise it or lower it sometimes sounds like the starter gear misses the flywheel and wont start. I have the tilt wheel set in the middle now and it has been starting but very choppy. any idea on how to fix this?

I don't mean to speak for anybody else, but, I don't think any of us know what you mean by choppy. Your steering column will have nothing to do with your starter motor's noises. If the starter motor is turning at all your key switch is fine. If it still made the "choppy noise" after a new starter was installed, Then it is your flywheel. I would say the choppy noise you were hearing was the old starter eating the teeth off of your flywheel. Sorry, but this repair will require you separating the motor and trans. One or the other will need to come out for repair if that is what it is.

thanks, i was afraid it was the flywheel. i looked at the starter and the top bolt came loose. the starter was on by one bolt, very scary. Thanks you again for your help tntchitwood.

Just a tip for future issues with your starter bolts....check the wholes and make sure they are not rusting out that will certainly cause them to drop out

Back