Some advice???

seanwheelz

Ok, so I've picked up this 87 cherokee about 3 months ago, and have finally straightened out most of the existing problems with it, and now feel confident enough to start doing some mods to it. I want to take it off roading, but am new to the whole thing. I wanted to know if you guys could give me some advice on what I need to get started on my little project. I was thinking of a 3-4 inch suspension lift kit with some nice big tires(any suggestions on size???). Anything else I should be thinking of or would I be pretty much set to start off with? It's got the 4.0 with a 5 speed. Stock everything for now...... ;-) Also, any suggestions on how to find clubs in the upstate NY area when im finished would be great too.
Sean[addsig]

It all really depends on how much you want to spend on the mods. I would go with the 4 inch suspension rockcrawler lift, exhaust, intake, and as for tires I would go with like a 33 12.5 15...nice a chunky like a superswamper or a good mud terrain. My own 2 cents. Romp.[addsig]

i have a 97 cherokee with a 4.0 and a 5 speed manual. great aren't they? well if you are REALLY set on getting a lift... i'd start by looking at rocky-road.com and rustysoffroad.com first. they have some great lift packages to get an idea of what you would want. if you do go with a lift... i wouldn't go any bigger than 33 inch tires... otherwise your road driving will be awful. also... stick with an all-terrain tire unless you plan to be doing mainly off-road... mud-terrain tires wear out very quickly on pavement. on the other hand... i haven't lifted my jeep yet and am running 30x9.5 BFG all-terrain's fine. i've been off-roading in it quite a bit and have had it on rocks, mud, snow... you name it... no problems. i know a lift would be a big improvement, but until i really have the money there are much better upgrades to be done. i put in a K&N air intake and its great. they are pricey ($250), but they install flawlessly and look nice too. you can take the economy approach and just buy the K&N cone filter ($50) and make your own air tube (look around online... lots of places show how to do it). i'd def. go with a nice exhaust too (flowmaster, borla, etc.). it'll sound nice and give you a few extra horses. my latest upgrade is an ARB bull-bar... incredible! shoot for one of those sometime also!!![addsig]

Welcome to the jeepz.com place! Lift is what you want to do? Bigger is not always better but to small and you will waste money going bigger later. I am glad that money has been tight for me or I would have done a 2.5 already and be wanting a 4" by now. I think 31's are doing to be my choice mybe 33's but as of now not. I like the look of a bit of room in the wheel wells. Clubs ask around your area and if you can't find one start one. good luck in your choices. tug[addsig]

Well, Im gonna have approx 800 to spend on the jeep. I've been looking around and have found 4" suspension kits ranging from $250(from JC whitney) to about $650 from my local car 'tuning' shop. Not too sure of brands though...Sounds like the opinion is not to necessarily go with a lift first...should I go a different route? I was thinking that since if nothing else, the rear leafs are begining to sag, and I would repace them anyway, might as well spend the little extra and go for better. Is the length of the driveshafts a problem when adjusting the height of the truck?? As far as tires go..going up to a 33" tire, do you have to change gearing at all??? How much did that bull bar set you back???? I was looking at them but couldn't find a brand that made one for the cherokee...I think it would look hot! :evil:

edited by: seanwheelz, Feb 15, 2003 - 01:14 AM[addsig]

My ZJ is still stock, but I lifted my Landrover using Bearmach springs which gave it 3" and bought stainless brake lines. Running mud rover 31". I go as far as anybody with open diffs. in the woods. No ridiculous rock crawling. My opinion is that traction aids in the axles, be it LS or Lockers are mandatory. So, what I'm saying is Dunlop Mud rovers in a moderate size and an inexpensive lift will leave money for a Limited Slip. Big tires get stuck just as easy as stock with open diffs.[addsig]

nice choice on the 5 speed. Thats what i combed all over the country side for. They are hard to find around here. Anyways I bought mine 1 month ago and i'm just gonna but some 30's on it. Also buy the skid plates and rock rails for it. Other then that..I just bought a basket for the roof. (i'm a avid mountian biker also). On the basket I plan on putting lights on it. I also plan on putting some beefer bumpers on it.[addsig]

on your question about bull bars... the best looking and best made ones are by ARB. they are manufactured in australia and are unbelievably tough and well-built. quite a few 4x4 stores sell them... quadratec.com, rocky-road.com, etc. they are rather pricey ($600) but really are worth it. ARB's are all made with a 12,000 winch mount built in as well as integrated turn signals (which look really nice) and some other cool features. i'd suggest going to rocky-road.com if you want some further info on it and all kinds of other great jeep upgrades. [addsig]

ive found the ARB bull bar for 550 on a google search so shop around for that, the price seems to vary, but i read a review that called the bar a battering ram and they were unable to damage it even when they tried. sounds pretty solid[addsig]

heres a good tip for ya, check what kind of transmission you have. pray to god that you dont have the Peugeot BA10 5-speed manual transmission. FRICK!!!
I have read many reviews how bad and horrible this transmission is go to this site
http://www.carsurvey.org/review_9922.html
theirs many reviews on this transmission, these transmission have been put in 1987 to the early 1989. i have a 1988 jeep cherokee manual 5 speed 4.0 inline engine and i read reviews and hoped that it never happend to me, BOOM! it happend and i only had this truck for 3 weeks. i have 200,000km on it and they are known to go at 160,000 km
keep this in mind.

right now this is what i have to do with my cherokee
http://www.jeeptech.com/convtrans/ax15swap.html

sorry for letting you know about this horrible transmission[addsig]

Back