00 XJ Power Window Stop.

Saurian

Greetings, all... Long time, and all that.

Subject vehicle: 2000 XJ, 4.0, automatic, power mirrors, windows, and locks. No modifications made to the aforementioned electrical creature comforts.

The drivers side window is not stopping. That's the best way I can describe it. When you roll it down, it functions normally, but when you hit the button to roll it up, when it would normally stop the motor when it reaches the top, it's not doing that, but instead, grinding and stripping the gears with all speed.

Is there some sort of stop switch, which tells the mechanism that it's closed as much as it will close, that might be faulty, or am I looking at some sort of integrated window module that incorporates that function.

Please forgive my ignorance, while I am well-versed in many things mechanical, I know absolutely nothing about power windows.

Thanks in advance.

No this is a very common problem and the window regulator and motor (which is one piece) is bad but I would not worry about it until it stops working

No this is a very common problem and the window regulator and motor (which is one piece) is bad but I would not worry about it until it stops working

Thanks very much for the reply. Next question. Obviously, as it's not stopping when it's supposed to, there are gears or something grinding, unless I stop it *just* right... Is the faulty unit the thing that's being stripped; IE: don't worry about it, or am I causing damage to the window hardware that would be staying after the faulty unit is replaced?

The auto up feature on the power windows works by an internal relay on the master switch. When the window reaches it's maximum travel and the motor reaches a predetermined load threshold that the master switch receives, the relay within the master switch should shut the circuit off to keep it from cranking however, IF the windor regulator gear to cable is stripped, the noise will occur and the motor will not have enough load to send the signal to the master switch to shut it down.

Back