1986 Grand Wagoneer fuel gauge/left turn.

Saurian

Posting this for my brother, the owner of the waggy. Obviously, there's an electrical short, but since AMCs had certain demons and gremlins throughout the years, I'm hoping that, perhaps, this is a common problem.

The fuel gauge does not function. Sending unit was replaced (by me), and it worked for a little while, before failing. Fuel gauge constantly reads empty, with a low fuel light. When he uses the left turn signal, the gauge rises with each click, to an above full state.

Again, hoping that this is, perhaps, a common problem, with an easy solution, which would lead us to NOT have to trace the wires from the dash to the rear end, looking for the short.

Thanks in advance...

The symptom describes a poor ground or an open short. Check the fuel tank ground. Unfortunately, the symptom of the left turn affecting the fuel gauge may have to be traced on the harness from the rear of the vehicle to the front.

Ground wire tends to come off the frame. I put a new one on mine to the screw where the plate covers the floor

Back