mystery hose. where does this go?

dustin g

I'm in the middle of replacing my steering box on my 98 GC Laredo and found this just sitting there. I can't find where it goes. Its coming from my front differential and just laying by the gear box.

Attachments

• ForumRunnerImage.jpg
    ForumRunnerImage.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 783

That is a vent hose for the front diff. It should be running to the firewall with a plastic check valve in the end.

Any idea where. I don't see anything resembling that. Is it up top or under the exhaust manifold. I do see a hole with a rubber seal behind the washer resivuar.

Attachments

• ForumRunnerImage.jpg
    ForumRunnerImage.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 461
Many of them are attached to a clip near the top of the radiator, not sure about your Grand. Should be a round hose clamp screwed to the radiator bracket above where you found the hose.

Here you will see it attached to the firewall near the brake booster, this specific Jeeper installed a valve to help keep water out of the hose.
Diff_Vent_F1-1.jpg

I hope in not retarded but I'm at a loss here guys. Nothing at the radiator and because my grand has a 5.2l visibility behind the engine is slim. Also i don't think the hose will reach there

Is possible it just clips here on the side of the air intake?

Attachments

• ForumRunnerImage.jpg
    ForumRunnerImage.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 436

That looks like a possibility...it just has to be up high to keep water from getting in to it. As the temp changes condensation can build up in the diff...this hose lets the moisture out. They usually came from the factory with some kind of check valve on the end,but many get lost.

That looks like a possibility...it just has to be up high to keep water from getting in to it. As the temp changes condensation can build up in the diff...this hose lets the moisture out. They usually came from the factory with some kind of check valve on the end,but many get lost.

if you dont drive in water above the top of diff then you probably wont have problem.

a hot diff dropped in water will suck water into diff and you would have lost gear oil lubrication

If that is all its for I will Jerry rig it to the side of the air filter housing. I do drive in deep water once in a while so I will keep it on. Thanks a billion guys! The help is always appreciated.

Back