Xj motor time.

Jester32

Well my 4.0l has finally went on my xj. Now should i just throw in a 4.0l or should i swap in a small block. Only thing im worried about is the rad to keep a small block cool is like 600 bucks and the kit to adapt the 231 to the th350 is 700. Now i could go with a mercedes diesel i 5 or something two.

Do you have the smog equipment on the small block to match 92 requirements? I'm a californian so thats a big deal here. Is the motor complete with headers and all? I would say you could run the sbc on stock axles but the lead foot will kill them. A poor mans stroker kit could prove to be cheaper in the long run, and still give you that needed HP.

Im in alberta so no smog. I have complete chevy drive trains. I got a dana44 rear. Up here machine shops suck. Looking at about 4500 to rebuild a 4 l. So. Im trying to stay away from them.

Jester32 said:
Well my 4.0l has finally went on my xj. Now should i just throw in a 4.0l or should i swap in a small block. Only thing im worried about is the rad to keep a small block cool is like 600 bucks and the kit to adapt the 231 to the th350 is 700. Now i could go with a mercedes diesel i 5 or something two.

I say stroke the 4.0 some kits push like 320 hp an almost 400 torque

Im in alberta so no smog. I have complete chevy drive trains. I got a dana44 rear. Up here machine shops suck. Looking at about 4500 to rebuild a 4 l. So. Im trying to stay away from them.

I guess you just need an extra large shoe horn and drive shafts. If you modify the radiator core support you can fit a much larger radiator ie junk yard salvage. the electric fan can be bought at auto parts store for under $100. Hows your t-case, np-241 with the donor trans?

i have the sbc (383 stroker) in my jeep with a th350 and i used a adaptor from advanced adaptors and ran my stock dana 300 transfer case best thing i ever did man this thing has so much power and it responds very nice its like a new machine good luck with yours u will love it with the sbc in it

Im pretty pumped i drag race in the summer time. I have a ton of sbc parts.

Well jester sux to hear bout your luck but whatever you do let us know... mines probably do the same mines probably gonna die soon

It was bound to happen. I mean nitrous. 480,000 kms and a heavy foot im going with a tbi 350 and th 350 trans. Adapted to my np 231. Im putting a mild cam and having the heads done. A little better compression to with different pistons. All balanced etc. Built to keep the torque down low. And a nice flat curve. Im using a holley projection kit for easy of install. And it works great.

Well just got my motor back from machine shop. Pulled 338 hp and 429.8 ft lbs torque. Should pull alright. All below 5000 rpm just where i like it. Torque came on strong right around 1750 rpms.

Just waiting for novak to get back to me on my mounts and adapters.

I built this whole engine for the price of a stroker kit. Besides nothin better than a v8. Now it wont sound like a rice rocket. Im done with 4.0l. Had nothin but let downs. And besides my trans is probably cooked to and the aw4 is not cheap to rebuild.

My 4.0l was horrible on gas. My big block chevy truck with 780 hp got the exact mileage my jeep did.

Back