losing coolant.

WODGES

I have a 1995 cherokee 4x4 , 4.0 auotmatic with 129,000 miles. the JEEP is strong. Replaced the radiator, water pump and t-stat because of over heating. the radiator was leaking from the plastic ends. When I remove the radiator cap while the engine is running air bubbles appear. I keep losing coolant with no evidence of where it is going. the coolant takes on a brownish color which I presume is exhaust contaminates. Engine oil is fine and very clean. Is it possible I have a gasket leak at an exhaust/water junction. I read on another site that this was impossible with the 4.0. I am handy enough to attempt this , just need a little guidance.

The most accurate tool i've used to check for a blown head gasket is called a combustion leak tester. It uses a chemical that detects combustion gasses present in the cooling system. You might find this tool from a local auto parts store. It is used in place of the radiator cap and a vacuum supply.

There is an updated head gasket from chrysler. Mine i just pulled apart two cylinders were white. Check your plugs. They will tell whats going on. If theres alot of white or ones cleaner than the tge others. Theres your trouble cyl.

See if it smells sweet when running or pull your spark plugs and blow air in w cap off look for bubbles start at back ones

Back