Seat belt chime

keith

Hi folks. I've been having problems with my 1988 cherokee. At times, the seat belt chime stays on even when the vehicle is shut off. This evening, I came out to the jeep, and heard the chimes still beeping. I tried starting it, but it would'nt start. I figured I had a dead battery, but jumping it did nothing. Is it possible my ignition switch is bad? Man, what a way to start the new year. Thanks for any help.

As far as the chime is concerned, it is possible that the "Key in ignition" switch is stuck thats causing the chime to continuosly alarm even when the key is pulled out. No crank could be the starter as you mentioned on the PM.

As far as the chime is concerned, it is possible that the "Key in ignition" switch is stuck thats causing the chime to continuosly alarm even when the key is pulled out. No crank could be the starter as you mentioned on the PM.

The lock cylinder IS pretty rough. Would it be safe to buckle the seat belt when I shut it off, and leave it at that, until I can troubleshoot? That's what I did now. I changed the starter today, and came back to hear the chime going off. Now, I guess that means the ignition switch is going? Oh, almost forgot to say, when I got the starter installed, I turned the key, and nothing happened. There is some kind of reset button that I pushed a while back when I disconnected the battery, along with a small toggle switch(Up or down). But it would not start unless I held the button in while it cranked. I never had to hold the button in, just press once then turn the key. I have no idea what the button or the switch are really there for, but somethings is not right. If it makes any difference, one other thing different is the interior lights would stay on before all this trouble for a few seconds after the car was off. I have to laugh, but it makes me wonder how all this wiring is run to begin with. It seems like so much stuff on one circuit. I just don't want to be stranded again. The old started tested bad, because I was thinking before this, what if all I had to do was hold that button down instead of replace the starter. It did look like the original starter, though. I appreciate all the help. :redface:

Back