99 cherokee sport randomly dies

tweeker_93

i drive a 99 cherokee sport. 4.0 inline 6, the usual. recently while driving, my battery gauge hits dead, my lights, etc. dim, and my check gauges light comes on. shortly after this, my jeep just stops running while im still driving down the road. its really getting annoying and id like to fix it before i install my new lift. any help would be great, thanks

if i pull over and shut off the engine before it has a chance to die, itll start back up asap with full battery levels and everything, but if it dies before i can do that im screwed

Check ground leads from the battery to the block. On the block the connection some times get corroded, clean and tighten this should help.

go and have your battery tested at autozone. its free. i had the same problem with a comanche i had. the battery just didnt have enough power to put out. its also possible that your alternator might be junk. pick a day and take both things into autozone and have them tested and go from there.

when something like that happened to me it was my alternator .... once your car starts up it's really not using the battery anymore it's running off the alternator so while checking the battery level is not a bad idea you may want to have your alternator checked as well

I think I have the same issue. Once out of three or four starts it wont start or it will sound like the starter wont engage. Try again and it starts but wont keep going. Third try its fine. Also the radio will shut off and turn back on and the engine will drag at little when stopped at a light. I'm thinking corrosion in a line or alternator. Let me know what you find out.

This sounds like an alternator problem for sure. Some times alternators will fade out rather than just quitting. Which would explain the inconsistency.

Also if it IS the alternator, continually running it in this condition will really take an extreme toll on your battery. I would just take in the alternator, have it tested, find out its going out on you, and replace it as soon as you possibly can.

Ok so my 99 Laredo has a power issue, similar to this... the radio will randomly loose power then come back on.

We've had the battery and alternator checked and they are both good. Had to fix the negative terminal connection as the wires were loose, but I still have the radio shutting off then coming back on.

Anyone have suggestions as to what would cause this?

We are thinking its a short somewhere but I'm not sure where to start looking other than checking the ground wire.

I have the same problem with my radio, but it is due to having six speakers without an amp. If I turn it up past a certain point it will shut itself off, and turn back on repeatedly until I turn it back down. Maybe that's your problem as well?

Mine is not affected by volume and I have the infinity amp... worth checking those connections though.

54cj3b said:
check the TPS / CPS most likely the culprit very common on the cherokee

What is that? Where is it and how do you check it? I know most of the mechanical stuff but clueless on electrical stuff. Sorry I'm not very versed in mechanicing but my Jeep has taught me a lot.

Trans position sensor / Crank position sensor

should be located about 1/2 way down the right side of trans by the bell section that connects to eng

Ok I know what it is. I replaced that on my wife's old Nissan. I will look there. Those are cheap parts too. Thanks

Back