help with Ford 8.8 rear axle swap in xj

StefaniH

My rear axle bearings recently went out in my 89xj. I have decided that since the axle has to come out, and I have to spend close to $300 in parts, I might as well upgrade.

I think I have decided on the Ford Explorer 8.8 axle with the disk brakes but I have some questions.

-What else do I need besides the axle, e-brake cable, and perches? Is the kit from MOR worth it?

-Do you suggest putting in a proportion valve on the brake lines? Do I need other brake lines for the calipers?

-I read that the after market e-brake cable won't work with abs. My truck used to have the recalled system but I replaced it with the non abs. This shouldn't matter as long as I get a non abs axle right?

-It seems the whole swap will be close to $500... Is there any other more affordable axle swap you might suggest? Or any other options out there being that all this is just because of an old axle bearing?

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• FILE0012.jpg
    FILE0012.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 6,643

Unless you're set on rear disc find a 97 and later 8.25 out of another XJ. It's a direct bolt in and almost as strong as a D44. It's good up to about 35s and you can always get ZJ disc brakes and put them on it. Also unlike the 8.8 it's the same width as your stock axle not narrower.

A buddy of mine just told me about the 8.25 too and I think I'm going to do that instead. I'm running 33's and don't want to go any bigger so that's perfect. Has that rear end ever come with disks?

Not on on XJs but I think Libertys did. Just get a set of ZJ disc. You have to modify them slightly for the 8.25 but its not hard and there are lots of write ups on it.

Back