O2 eliminator???

Appleshack

hey guys,

When I did my exaust, I took the cat off including the downstream O2 sensor. I let it sit around and long story short it got thown away. It runs great with out it but the CEL is on and I need to get better gas mileage.

I asked a guy at a local parts shop if there was anyway to bypass this O2 sensor, and he said to look for an O2 Eliminator. When I looked, i only saw them for dirt bikes and sport cars.

Has anyone heard of these?

Do I have any other options to get better gas mileage with this configuration?

I could go into technical detail detail how your system is telling your ECM that the cat temp isn't there and the exhaust O2's isn't right so run the system rich till cat temp reaches operating temp and start converting nitrites into nitrates...ect ect.
Yes Most car's will run great without all of this smurf chit(smog stuff). But local, and federal laws prevent any D.O.T. applications or devices altering emission control devices to be legally ran on U.S. roads.
To regain your mileage, or something close is to re-install your 2nd O2 and cat.

Im not too worried about the laws and emissions for this. I have a thrush turbo, so its fairly quiet and would never get questioned with all the big trucks running around with straight pipes in my town.

can I put an O2 sensor in the pipe somewhere and would it read the same way? I really dont want to by a new O2 sensor let alone a new cat.

OK here is the long answer...
Because the "cat" changes the exhaust hydrocarbons into other gases using the heat from the exhaust to activate the chemical process. The ECM reads the up stream O2 level and down stream level and retards or advances the the timing to raise or lower the exhaust temp by changing the amount of unburned fuel into the exhaust ports to help heat up the exhaust gasses. With Pre 96 style ECM's (OBD I) programming out a second O2 sensor and how it affects the closed circuit of timming advance or retard was no problem. But with OBD II's changing the program is near to impossible because its a stack program.
Stacked clusters of information sit in each line of code, making changing one line of code or deleting it imposable. This is why it has taken a few years to aftermarket programmers to come on the market changing the jeeps basic tuning.

Most Jeeps are designed to run hot (210 degrees) and on the lean side.
For every 1% of extra CO2 in differential rate the ECM raises the exhaust temp 39F.
Any change in the run parameters will kill your gas mileage to hummer levels.
At this point there is no solution to your particular problem without adding a cat and second O2 sensor. Adding a O2 without a cat, and its ability to convert hydrocarbon gasses back into CO2 gasses will just keep your system in fat mode trying to heat up your cat.

Wow, that was long, haha but very informative, and possibly changing my mind on this whole thing, I might just ditch the trush and just go with a cat back or something like that, but it's gotta be cheap lol.

Is there any very cheap cats that have good flow? And will I be able to put an O2 sensor in easily? Im not sure if they have the bung for them.

But thank you, that was a lot of help!!

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz

thanks i want one i can just put the new O2 sensor in. I found a Magnaflow in Quadratec for $113.00 that didnt seem too bad.

Back