Grand Cherokee vs CommanderCommander

bchcky

Well it's been a while since I've been on here, and probably even longer since I owned my last Jeep. I browsed quickly and still recognize a few names.

Here's the story. I moved down south for a job. Looking to get back up north in the near future where it snows and there are seasons! Currently driving a car. Need an SUV again. Looking at primarily the Grand Cherokee or the Commander. Looking to buy used, oldest I'll go is '07. Need obviously AWD/4WD. Also looking for towing capability. Need to be able to tow a moving trailer across the country (nothing huge, it's just me). And then to occasionally tow a 19' boat in the summer.

From what I've read it seems like the real advantage the Commander has is really only the 3rd row seat. I honestly don't care if I have that or not. Will probably buy close to loaded too, this won't be intended to be a toy to start.

So just looking for info. Comparisons? Engines offered? Anyone had good or bad experiences with either? Any problems that are know to affect particular models and/or years? Thanks in advance.

I've driven the Commander and liked it. It had a v6 and didn't feel super powerful (for towing), but seemed to have adequate power for around town. If feels much bigger than it is when you're sitting in the driver seat.

What I don't like about the commander is the windsheild. It seems. .I dunno just felt to me there were alot of blind spots but it drives good and they look cool. .definatley. not a cherokee. .

my view of the commander is like jeepjeep! said, blind spots. it seems like it had a lot of blind spots and it is too boxy for me. the grand cherokee seems like it would have a little trouble pulling a trailer or boat, but with the hemi would have enough power, just maybe the suspension would be what i question.

Thanks for the info. I'm leaning toward the GC if I get one. Things have changed, might not get a boat anymore, and might keep my car. I'm all over the place. Good info though.

One more question, specifically about the engines. There's the 5.7l Hemi V8, and the regular V8 is I believe 4.7? I can read the stats and capabilities all day, but I'm wondering as far as reliability, which is a "better" engine. Put it like this, when I was last driving a Jeep, they were still putting the bombproof 4.0 in Jeeps, that's the reliability I'm wondering about. So what is the good, the bad and the ugly about the two V8 engines they now use?

the 5.7 has a lot of power. both engines are flex fuel i believe so you can run e85 if desired. I have only driven a few 4.7's in durangos and dakotas, but not that many jeeps. They have decent power, obviously not as much as the 5.7, but they are a decent option for a smaller v8. i have never owned one, so other then that i couldn't tell you

my grandfather has a newer GC with the 5.7 hemi and it's a strong strong motor. as far as bullet proof I couldn't tell ya. his is a daily driver. the only thing I can tell ya is if you want decent gas mileage don't get the hemi. it's terrible on gas but that's to be expected.

Personally, I don't like the look of the Commander, I guess I would go with the Grand Cherokee V8 (I would do fine with the 4.7, but the 5.7 would be even better :) )
Saar.

I've heard that in actual driving there is not much difference (if any) in gas mileage between the 5.7L Hemi and the 4.7L V8, probably due to the variable cylinder activation on the Hemi. So, if looking at the possibility of ever towing anything, I'd go with the Hemi!

I work on both engines on a daily basis. .and they are a pain to work on. .everything is packed so tight . .I ha e the 4.0 so im kinda old fashioned and still love it bt I have driven a gc overland wth the 4.7 ho and its got plenty of power and towing ability. .the service as far as oil changes are a little higher with the hemi just cause it holds more oil. .and what the deal is up with the friggin oil caps!!! They tighten and swell up and are just a pain to fiddle with but unless u work on em every day you might not notice. .and the drainplugs. Have to be changed more than normal seems like on all chryslers

Come on folks! Commander! Plenty of room (especially to put the kids in the 3rd row on ALL road trips!). 5.7 HEMI! And they look cool lifted! You can tow anything with this thing.:D

Attachments

• Commander 01.JPG
    Commander 01.JPG
    1,019 KB · Views: 24,028
My mom owned the 2007 commander and I loved that thing it had the 4.7 liter and hade plenty of power as a matter a fact we used to pull a small camper behind it all the time it did great plus a ton of room. But she got rid of it because of gas prices and bought the 2011 GC to be honest with you I don't really like how it looks and it's got the V6 so it lacks in power and it doesn't have near as much room. If I where u I would go with the comander over any newer Cherokee but I might be a little bias seeing how much I loved that cammander oh ya and we never had any engine probes for as long as we owned it witch was about 70000 miles

Commanders remind me of a cross between an Izuzu trooper and an H3....not good :oops:

I have the V8 4.7 08 GC and think its great it has a lot of power and I have had it up to 25 mpg (according to the comp on a 70 mile interstate trip I often take). In order to get decent gas mileage you have to baby which I am ok with but if a vehicle ticks you off you def have enough pickup to get around most cars.

My buddy bought an v8 4.7 06 Commander a week after I bought mine. The GC by far has the better pickup and the same road trip he gets like 17ish so its pretty bad on gas mileage no matter what. We both like the way his rides better but I still like my GC better because it seems to have more power and better gas mileage.

BTW the 3rd row seating is junk the only way I would haul kids back their on a long trip is if they were under the age of 6 or 7 it has absolutely no leg room and awkward as hell to get into. If you have the 3rd row up you MIGHT be able to fit a cooler behind them.

HE WON'T EVEN TAKE HIS COMMANDER IN THE MUD..... "It's not a toy." according to him..... screw that a jeep is a jeep and it they don't look right clean!!!!

I love my Commander, plenty of room lots of Commander parts and accessories available, and feels luxurious for a jeep.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back