2000 Cherokee Possible cooling sys. problem

adamjaskie

Well, I have been driving the Cherokee for the past week because my dad was on a business trip, and he took the Saturn. A few days ago, I was driving along, and heard a chime. Looked down at the cluster, and the temp gauge was in the red, and "CHECK GAUGES" was on. I was about to pull into a parking lot, changed to right lane and everything, when the temp gauge dropped back down to normal. This has happened two or three times since, as well. I normally would think this is a gauge problem, but I have also noticed that the heater does not work very well. Sometimes, even with the coolent temp at normal, the heater blows cool (warmer than outside temp, but not hot) air. I was thinking perhaps thermostat? Does anyone know of something that is known to happen to Cherokees?

Also, has anyone else had the switch for the rear wiper/washer break? Mine has the middle position busted, so it can only be off, or washer. No plain wiper. I know I could just replace it with a radio shack switch, but is there a way to fix the existing switch? Or should I just get a new one from the dealer?[addsig]

ok... it sounds like your cooling system is fine. if its not boiling over, i wouldn't stress out too much about it. the heater problem might be a clog or something in the blower. i wouldn't worry too much - winter's almost over. as for the cause in the guage jumping up and back down, it must be a wire exposed or a bad connection somewhere. a 2000 model should have a dealer warrenty and i'd be dragging it back down there for the guys at the dealer to look at.

that switch will probably be a couple bucks to buy a new one (ya know, less that 20 hopefully from the dealer) and it'll just plug right in and work. if you feel like messing around with a radio shack switch it'll be ugly. the problem with that swich is that the 'wash' is momentary - it only squirts for as long as you hold down the button. the position for 'wipe' is a normal switch - it stays there. if you think radio shack has something like that (dual switch like that, with one direction momentary, the other normal) its worth taking a look. i wouldn't bother because you'll also have to wire it up and mount it. and it won't look as good as a new factory switch.[addsig]

Well, I finally remembered to do what I should have done first off. Check the coolant. The overflow bottle was EMPTY?!?!?! I filled it back up to the FILL mark, and I will see how it works over the next few days. Ill get back to you all if its still acting up.[addsig]

Back