restoring/customizing a 95...got some questions

95zj4us

We have a 1995 Grand Cherokee Laredo with the 4.0l I6, its a jasper rebuilt engine that is sluggish for some reason, has about 80k on it. Looking into rebuilding as a stroker or swapping to a different engine. Looking to simply get a bit more kick out of it, hopefully not at too much of a loss in MPG. Also attempting to diagnose some transmission issues, the vehicle is fine in reverse etc however in drive it will essentially start in second, then shift into 3rd, sometimes will shift if first if you physically start it in 1 then go through the gears manually. Idle is about 200 rpm low and has a slight hesitation. Rear end is going bad as well. Looking for suggestions on the rebuild or swap, were considering converting to 2wd and manual as we use the vehicle on the highway, transport kids etc. Looking to mostly restore and do some light custom work i.e stereo, reapholstering the interior, possibility of fiberglass dash etc etc. budget roughly 10,000 for the entire build. any suggestions welcome (besides dumping it, minds made up to keep)

I should mention I have looked a bit into the 4.0 apparently not to much is to be gaind from standard bolt on parts. mainly been looking into the stroker kits and etc. also worth mentioning we are not going to large, probably 1-2 inch lift and 31s.

I have heard that the transmissions can be fixed for decent prices, but you should probably take it somewhere to get it checked. As for the engine, I would check your timing, spark plug gap, and throttle position. The rear is probably a dana 35, you can rebuild it or upgrade to a dana 44 which is a little stronger. What transfer case do you have? Depending on where you live if you get any snow or ice, or ever want to go off road at all I would leave it 4wd, it won't give you much better mpg unless you have full time 4wd. As for the lift, you can get a budget 2" lift with extended shocks for about $220 from most places and that is the minimum lift to run 31's. I had 31's on my Grand Cherokee and they rubbed the fender if I hit a bump, but I replaced one with a 31" Goodyear Dura-Trec and I couldn't turn my wheel lock to lock anymore. Good luck with your build/rebuild, wouldn't mind seeing how it all goes.

We literally never offroad, no snow here ever more than 1inch, and have never even put the vehicle in 4x4 besides to test it in my yard and see if it worked. It is a 35 rear, and we are converting to a manual as far as transmission goes. As for the tires I talked to her about and she does not want it lifted so street tires, and building the jeep for street application it is. Suspension wise looking at coilovers but not sure, improving the handling is very important to her. Were doing fiberglass on the dash now, she wants digital guages and all the climate control, vents, etc relocated and in dash satnav etc.

Oh and bears mentioning I do believe we have decided on a Hesco built stroker motor, 345 hp 400ftlbs of torque.

Coilovers might be a bit overkill for a nonlifted street Jeep...you'd prbly be much better off buying a master bushing overhaul set (see 4wheeldrive hardware) and replacing all the the suspension/steering bushings and pop for some kyb or edelbrock performance street shocks.

thanks for the tip, will those improve cornering and handling etc? looking to get this thing handling at the best its capable for street application. Ive never driven or used a vehicle with a coilover kit so im unsure of the differences

I've never ridden in or driven in vehicle with coilovers either, but you got to figure you have 17yr old rubber bushings being used in an abusive enviroment...they won't last forever. As they degrade so will your ride and handling. Also your track bar(s) could be getting warn...they have a ball type joint at the "frame" side and a rubber bushing at the axle, if that starts to go your ride can get very interesting...

I'm not sure if anyone makes a lowering kit you could try googleing it. My 95 gr came with a 3" skyjacker suspension lift on it when I bought it...many company's make leveling kits or you could use a 1-2 inch budget boost. Personally if it were mine and your going to a potent stroker motor I wouldn't lower it, id use the space to fit some larger wheels over a "big brake" kit. It couldn't hurt to upgrade the brakes when your increasing the power.

Defiantly upgrading brakes and after looking through what's available and out there (andysautosports.com) cheaper the jc Whitney and some quality stuff were going with oversized drilled and slotted rotors, 4 piston after market calipers, and a better booster. Rebuilding the suspension system with just higher quality parts, and upgrading the shocks etc. Stock height and she found a set of are rims she likes, 18s and there are a tires that fit that don't look like damn rubber bands. Although she asked a question that I blew off then thought about.... 4 cylinder technology has come a long way as have v6 so is it that difficult to have something with some decent power and torque custom fabricated into this vehicle maybe with decent mileage

Honestly a fresh 4.0 has decent power, and if you bored it out a little bit and did a head job, find a decent cam for it, and then the regular intake and exhaust you could probably have close to 300hp on a straight 6 that would be virtually indestructible.

The stroker should get decent highway mileage the way you're building the Jeep, as long as you can keep your foot out of it. I'm not sure you would gain anything by fabricating the mounts and wiring for a different model engine.

Consider beefier swaybars as well, since on-road handling is a large concern. Also upgrade the rear axle to a D44 (not the Grand Cherokee D44a) to handle the added torque of the stroker.

D44 is definatly in the works, theres a real good 4x4 shop down here that has some good prices on rebuilt ones. Ive been looking at tough country sway bars and they seem like they will do the trick. I think we have settled on the HESCO stroker motor with a few addons along with a dynomax exhaust system, k/n cold air intake kit etc

It actually comes with the after market intake and 62mm. All I have to it is the cold air intake, ignition set up, headers and exhaust. Swapping the alternator and starter with mean green as well as considering different Sep setups

I hate to be the one to say it and i don't mean to sound like a dick i'm never on here to put anyone down but it seems to me that you would be better off driving that thing to the junk yard and take that 10,000 grand and by something else it might just be me but why take a 4x4 a jeep at that and build it for the street but hey who am i to judge that's just me if it's what you really want then go for it just don't be like so many other people i know and start a big project get in over your head and never finish it good luck hope it all works out

The jeep holds some sentimental value to us and its just the way we want to build it, moneys really not much of an object and theres really no such thing as a project to big lol, been doing things like this for a while just not that familiar on jeeps.

I hear ya and sorry if what i said seemed harshed i didnt mean anything bad by it go for it have no doubt it can be done post some pics though out the build

Back