New XJ project, need help

K.13

I'm going to be picking up a '92 Cherokee and actually plan to build trail rig out of this one. I had one a few years ago and people told me that the Wagoneer would be my best bet for axle swaps. Well, I've been having a hell of a time trying to find one. I want to run atleast 35's on this Jeep and I also plan to put the 4.2 into it. I figure the D30/35's aren't gonna last too long in the mud. Anyone have some suggestions for axles? I know a few guys at a fab shop that can weld new perches, build the motor and pretty much just do all the really technical stuff I don't have the time nor set-up for.
So, if you can suggest some stronger axles for me, I got a scrap yard to dig through. I'd greatly appreciate the help. I just know quite as much about the XJ's as I do my YJ.

I don't know about the Cherokee, but a ford 8.8 is a popular swap for the Wrangler guys. You just grab an 8.8 from a 1997+ Ford Explorer and weld on new brackets.

Brace the uni body. Design your bumpers to tie into the unibody as far back as you can. Trac bar brace is a must. If your going 35s. You will want at least 6.5 inches I would do long arm as its wicked.

I was thinking about the long arm lift. But I'm not so sure if I really need it. I know it's great and all. But the trails around here wouldn't really require it. I know I'm going to need at least 6 inches of lift.
Is the 8.8 a limited slip? And also, what would be easiest to put into the front?

The 8.8 can be a limited slip (the one I pulled was).

If you're running 35s the front 30 will be fine, especially in mud. The later versions, 95ish and later have larger D44 size u-joints and will slide right in the 92 housing. For the rear the easiest will be a 97 and later Chryco 8.25 out of another XJ. It's 29 spline and close to D44 strength and will be fine with 35s and will bolt right in. 8.8s are OK and some come with a LSD but a good bit of work for what it is.

dang, im keeping a close eye on this thread, i love this stuff

You don't need the long-arm suspension for the type of wheeling you do, you NEED it for the amount of lift you plan on installing. 6" or whichever amount you decide on to clear 35" tires is too much lift for a short-arm design. Anything over 4" to 4.5" is too much for a short-arm, the arms become to steep and handling suffers onroad and off.

Why the 4.2L engine? The '92 Cherokee 2.5L and 4.0L both put out more HP than the 4.2L engine.

Ah, I did not know that about the XJ's. I know the newer ones had a big spline. My main concern is the whole C-clip with the D30's. If I go the route of axles off new XJ's, should I worry about the C-clips?
And thanks Bounty Hunter. I guess I was trying to save myself some cash... but it will probably end up costing me more in the long run. As for the 4.2, I figured it would put out a little more power than the 4.0. Guess I was wrong. I'll stick with the stocker.... why mess with a good thing, right.

Right. The 4.0L is a much better engine, don't let the slight increase in displacement fool you.

The front d30 is not a c-clip axle. The rear d35 axle is a c-clip axle for '91 and newer Jeeps. The pre-'91 d35 is slightly stronger than the c-clip version.

So if anything, I should stick with the front... just throw in a locker or something? And for the rear find the axle out of a say '90 or '88 or something older like that? And as well put in a locker? Now, if I get the older axle, the axle shafts from a new one with abs, those will still work, right?
And lastly... gears. Any good suggestions for 35"s? I'm thinking 4.10's?

:redface:...I knew that... Guess Im getting forgetful .:lol:
The 8.25 requires new perches, right? Also would require wheel spacers too?
It's a tough call. If I can get the 35 to last, I wouldnt mind it. But the 8.25 is already stronger but takes a little more time to get back under the jeep.
I'll have to take a tour around the scrap yard and see what I can find in there. Thanks for all the help so far.

ohhhh ok.
Sorry, for some reason I was thinking it was the axle out of the explorer. That 8.25. Thats the 8.8... right?

That's pretty nice and quick. Sorry it took me a bit to click in there. What year of Cherokee's could I find it in? Or was it an option through-out production?

97 and newer. Try to get a 99 up it has the 29 spline axles

Back