1999 grand cherokee crankshaft position sensor

Boomersxj

Does anyone have a easy why of replacing this damn sensor that's on top of the bell housing? I've already dropped the transmission support at least 3", still seems like there's no access to it? Any help would be appreciated.

Does anyone have a easy why of replacing this damn sensor that's on top of the bell housing? I've already dropped the transmission support at least 3", still seems like there's no access to it? Any help would be appreciated.

I believe the best way to change the CPS is from underneath the car with a 1/4" drive wratchet with about 16 " total of woble extentions with a swivel at the end and the 13mm 6 point socket. You must put the sensor in place from the top. Then put the bolt into the socket and install it from underneath. You may need to rig the bolt to make it fit tight on the socket by adding a thin layer of tape on the bolt so it stays tight in the socket and doesn't fall out. It is best to start it by hand without the ratchet and spin it as far as you can by hand then tighten it with the ratchet. That is what worked the best on my 99 GC L. with 4.0L. With this set up the whole job can be finished in 15 minutes or so. (Pic is of my other 2000 Jeep cause it looks nicer than my 99 ).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Jeepz.com mobile app

You may need to rig the bolt to make it fit tight on the socket by adding a thin layer of tape on the bolt so it stays tight in the socket and doesn't fall out.

That's a great idea. I was just replacing my radiator, and should have done that.

If i need to hold a bolt in a socket in hard to reach places I use this stuff.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/MMM08578

Works great . I also use it to stop vibration on parts and/ or filling holes. Just used it on my WJ air filter box mount holes underneath the left front fender.

dlm ny country

Attachments

• Strip_Calk.jpeg
    Strip_Calk.jpeg
    12.4 KB · Views: 1,352
Back