1981 grand wagoneer tail lights work intermittently

jeffing65

the tail lights on my buddys 81 wagoneer wont work intermittently we have been trying to fix this problem for a year now with no sucess. it is a real hassle because it results in expensive tickets and in our area is probable cause to search your vehicle completely. Repeatedly sitting by the side of the road while the cops gut the interior of the car for an hour or two and then being issued citations for the lights because they are ****ed off they didnt get a drug or stolen property bust for their egos. If anyone has any solutions for these lights we would be greatly appreciated. thanks Jeff

What have u tried so far alot of the time it ends up being a bad ground on the frame

we have tried to trace the wires everywhere possible along the body and at the sockets. we also pulled the steering column apart and checked all of it and the plug at the base. I agree about the ground. it is nearly always the problem. I have over 40 years of mechanical exp. on everything from hot rods to aircraft. Its one of those little things that wont be consistent long enough to find the cause.

Several things. The switch on the pedal is weak. I added another one (universal) on a bracket and joined it parallel to the original. I took apart the light sockets at the back and replaced the pigtails (very cheap insurance!) and got US made bulbs (Chinese ones blow out easier) then make sure the ground on the body was good. There is a plug on the frame ahead of the bumper on the driver's side that corrodes and causes intermittent issues too.
Another thing is sometimes law enforcement officers get the wrong idea about the driver of a car and "invent" problems that you can't see. I was pulled over by one less than a mile from getting a perfect inspection from the station and informed I had a light out. I went back to the station and they called the officer in and replayed his on-board camera, which proved he was... uh... incorrect and the ticket was dispensed with.

hahaha nice on the replay I will check the plug on the frame again it is sometimes only one and sometimes both suggesting that plug I hate simple gremlins that are hard to find.

Back