1995 xj

awetzel86

So I bought it from Tokyo and had it shipped to northern Japan. Up here we need 4wd because we get a lot of snow and I have just finally gotten it legal to drive but I think my 4wd is messed up. I'm wondering if the 4wd has ever been used at all until I got it. So here goes my issue.

So every time I shift Into 4wd my part to r light comes on and I get this load rubbing sound when I start accelerating. I shift my lever all up and down but the sound is still there no matter what I'm doing. Once in a great while I get my green driveline outline light and all seems fine and I can go right back into 2wd. Now when it seems to be stuck in part time and make that awful sound I try to shift into 2wd but my part time light stays on. It takes a lot of time to finally get the part time off and get back into 2wd and it takes a miracle just to get my green drive line outline light to come on so I can drive in 4wd without noise. So idk what's going on right now but maybe I'm completely lost on how to shift this thing from 2wd to 4wd? Be nice if it was like my wrangler and all I had was 2wd/4h/n/4L. Any ideas would be awesome

I have an 88 wagoneer, and I had the same problem. You have to let off the gas, shift and hit the gas. It might take a few times. And sometimes to get it out of fwd, drive backwards fast and slam on the brake. The fwd has u joints which can make all kinds of noise, from screeching, sqeaking, clacking, clanging, banging, or grinding. Good luck.

I also need to adjust my 4wd linkage as well. Might make a nice difference

So adjusted the linkage and its working a little better. I can usually go from 2wd to 4 high once the transfer case warms up but when passing thru part time if I don't do it lightning quick it sticks in part time and I can't go 4h or even 2 wheel until it decides to switch over. Tried the breaking after a quick reverse and no luck. Changed out the fluids in transfer case and differential still get that awful loud rubbing sound when getting close to 20kmh and beyond. Still at a loss as to what is going on. Also I noticed when its stuck in part time and I try and turn really tightly I get tire chirp from my rear wheels and I think even my front as though its not a open differential.

Another thing that might help is we put it up on a lift and I ran her through all the transfer case selections and it all worked great but soon as we dropped her down and drove her it was back to the same old crap.

What year and type of jeep is this, I forget. will go through other post and try to see. auto, or stick.
Automatic_I think is vac operated, and shift in and out of 4x4 in neutral. (so I have read) check all your vac lines going to your front axle.
stick_ you should be able to shift into 4h and 2h while moving, 4L on the other hand should be done in neutral and taken out in neutral or reverse. in reverse, back up some and as you push the clutch in, shift. On paved roads you will get chirping from your tires when turning, chirping from the back could indicate a locker of some type, which would be better than an open diff. You should not drive it on asphalt or concrete (hard surface roads) in 4x4, it puts the drivetrain in a bind and can snap ujoints or even worse front axle shafts. In 4x4 your rear is pushing the front and the front is pulling so in a tight turn the rear is pushing forward as the front is trying to pull another direction and something has to slip, usually your tires slip and chirp, other times SNAP!!!
ok I seen its a xj so probably automatic. only thing I can think of is check you vac lines for leaks cracks and linkage.

Last edited:
Back