Dana 35 limited slip?

desertrunner

So o tore into my axle today I'm pretty sure is a Dana 35 I got to work cleaning up the gears and stuff before I pulled it out because I'm changing to 4.10 gears and a lunchbox locker. It wasn't until I started cleaning the data tag to confirm what I had and I noticed the ls stamp. I looked at the carrier and it doesn't look like a normal open carrier and I can see where the ls discs are. So I'm looking for confirmation on what I have because I didn't think any Dana 35s came with ls diffs. Also whig will be better to have in my rear end? A limited slip or a lunchbox style auto locker.

ForumRunner_20130501_104832.png

Also, I assumed it was open because before I was able to spin on axle one way and the other would turn the oposite way. I cleaned it all with a solvent and now they stick so hard me and a buddy can't turn them opposite no matter how hard we try. The gear oil that came out was red instead of brownish . I'm 99% sure its a limited slip so I guess my question now is should I keep the ls or go with the automatic locker? I have to take the carrier out anyways for the gear change. I have a spare carrier I know is for open diffs that will work for the lockright locker

Yes, thats a LS, it is normal to be able to spin the tires in oppisite directions. With a locker, they will spin in the same direction unless you turn the tire slow or give it a slight jerk in one direction to unlock it, then only one tire will spin. To leave the LS or go locker, all I can do is tell you my experience when I went from ls to lockrite locker in the rear only. OFF ROAD, there is no comparison, the locker is awsome! On road its fine BUT... on snowy roads in 2wd the rear end is real squirely and will fish tail real easy with light throttle, it got to where I didnt want to drive the jeep in the snow unless it was enough to use 4wd. We didnt have much snow once and I was driving on asphault and hit a large section of snow so I let off the throttle and that put me in a spin which throw me into the ditch and I flipped. Dont get me wrong I ABSOLUTLY love my locker and wouldnt want to get rid of it, you just have to be careful in 2wd on snow and ice. If you already have the open carrier, I would put the locker in, you will love it. It will probably make a clicking ratcheting sound when you make sharp turn and are off the gas, it is normal. The locker makes this sound when it unlocks. You have a longer wheelbase so it may not ratchet as much.

No snow round these parts :) its bright shiny socal desert. Thanks. Definately switching out the carrier and installing the locker

What size tires will you be running? What year is the d35? The '91+ d35 is a c-clip axle and the axleshafts don't really like to hold together when used with a locker. The LS will be a lot easier on parts.

That being said, the LS is less effective the larger the tire, the clutch packs just don't like to overcome the added leverage of oversize tires.

I've read the Dana 35 is okay up to 33s as along as your smart when ur wheeling. And same thing for the locker.

I dont know anything about the strenghts of the dana 35, but have read its not real strong. I ran a lockrite in the rear of my old cj for about 7-yrs with lots of offroading, and never had any problems with it. It think the locker will hold up fine as long as the rear doesnt give you any trouble.

With 33s and a light foot off road the d35 will hold up fine. With a locker in the d35 its not if but when it will grenade on you. I run a rebuilt and extra clutch pack in,my 8.8 LSD and am very happy with the on and off road performance of it. The only catch is the clutch packs will wear out quickly running bigger tires.

I bought an '88 YJ a bit ago and it has a Dana 35 rear differential as well. I have not cracked it yet, so I do not know if it has an "LS" marking somewhere for Limited Slip. I would like to find out prior to cracking it so I can get the proper Limited Slip fluid.

Could you please tell me where the "LS" is displayed on the housing so I can determine if it is an LS or not. Thanks.

So o tore into my axle today I'm pretty sure is a Dana 35 I got to work cleaning up the gears and stuff before I pulled it out because I'm changing to 4.10 gears and a lunchbox locker. It wasn't until I started cleaning the data tag to confirm what I had and I noticed the ls stamp. I looked at the carrier and it doesn't look like a normal open carrier and I can see where the ls discs are. So I'm looking for confirmation on what I have because I didn't think any Dana 35s came with ls diffs. Also whig will be better to have in my rear end? A limited slip or a lunchbox style auto locker.

View attachment 16865

There should be a data tag attached to the diff cover. It will tell you all about what's in ur axle . If its not there its been opened before and the tag wasn't put back on. It's about 3 -4 inches long half and inch wide and paper thin piece of metal with a series of numbers and letters stamped on it . Google Dana 35 data tag and itl show you

What !?! Now I know this thread is age old but .....
Thats an open diff if the carrier is tapered . It's a 35 and yes , you could get them with "Tracloc" (limited slip) aka "PosiTraction" from the factory , but that photo is not of an open diff .One can plainly see the carrier is as large on one side as it is on the other . The Tracloc works pretty good and I don't think that lockrite makes a kit unless you use the open diff carrier . If the clutch packs are still good I'd stay with it . Like was mentioned about it being "c" clipped . Also , if one jacks up the rear of the vehicle and spins a wheel and the other side goes the opposite direction , it's an open diff . A Tracloc diff or limited slip diff or PosiTraction diff won't do that . Both wheels will rotate in the same direction .

Last edited:
Back