1990 cherokee limited starts up then dies

ZZMAN

I've got a 1990 cherokee limited 4.0 auto and the problem is that it starts up and acts like the timing is way retarded and when you give it gas it goes up about 400rpms then when you let off the gas it dies.i've got brand new plugs,wires,cap,rotor and a cps my fuel presure is good and my firing order is good. I need help.

Not knowing what readings of fuel pressure were obtained , it is important to know how much pressure is gotten KOEO ( key on engine off ) , cranking and running . Also , the difference between fuel pressure regulator line on and off while running . One more check is pressure drop . That effects starting , but if check valve is bad , will not make sufficient pressure to run .
A tune up was performed , what kind of spark is it making ? Could there be an issue with a weak ignition module ? 400 rpm above idle first suggests bad fuel pressure , however , you stated it is good , and poor idle and no acceleration , weak spark contributes greatly to the problem.
If you can run more tests and obtain results ? Pressure and spark ? One more thing , has compression been checked ?

Back