1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4.0 Distributor Installation

PatrickPresti

Hi Guys,

Just rebuilt my engine on a 1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4.0. Does anybody know of a good procedure on how to install the distributor on the engine. I know that the engine has to be set for the #1 cylinder at TDC on the compression stroke. Any recommendations where the rotor should be located relative to the #1 cylinder would be great. I can't find any instructions that are very clear...

Thanks,

Pat

Hi Guys, Just rebuilt my engine on a 1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4.0. Does anybody know of a good procedure on how to install the distributor on the engine. I know that the engine has to be set for the #1 cylinder at TDC on the compression stroke. Any recommendations where the rotor should be located relative to the #1 cylinder would be great. I can't find any instructions that are very clear... Thanks, Pat

image-2471459691.jpg

image-4073252785.jpg

From my 1992 jeep FSM is the procedure . Should be the same for the 1999.

Also, there should be a hole on the bottom of the distributor housing and a hole on the tone plate inside close by where the sensor wiring comes out to the side. You can use this alignment hole by placing an Allen wrench or pin in the hole to keep it in place as you line up the shaft down to the notch on the engine side. Remove the pin before you install the sensor and rotor. The rotor should be pointing to the number 1 plug wire on the distributor.

Back