Long Arm Vs Short Arm

Dumb Question! I want to know some opinions on short arm vs long arm. I know this question is asked a lot but you never find the answer you're looking for. Wanting to put a 4" lift with 2" rubber spacers to get the total of 6". It"s a 98 ZJ with a 6 banger. I do some mudding sometimes but mostly off road trails and some rock crawling but nothing extreme. It is a daily driver. What I really want is height and to be able to run with 33"s. I have stock 31"s right now. I don't want a Mall Crawler! I will be changing out axles on a later date. I know Rough Country sells a 4" long arm kit with out shocks and springs so can I add shocks and springs for a 7-8" lift to get my 6" without rubber spacers? And at what height does it start affecting my drive shafts?

If you are going 4 to 6 inches, the long arm will give you more functional geometry through a wide range of suspension travel or articulation. The radius of a short arm is too tight to to articulate well, so save that for 2 inch lifts.

Check out Rubicon Express Long Arm. They are a few bucks more than other kits, but have a lifetime warranty, really heavy duty joints, and seem to maintain or may imrpove ride comfort.

I went with the Rubicon Express Long Arm 4.5" and 33 x 12.50 on 15"x10 rims. My Jeeps offroad capability improved dramatically, a lot of that was due to the sway bar decoupler in the Rubicon kit.

Thanks Jeepergeo! I found the lift I wanted. Going with a 7" long arm from Iron Rock Off Road. They also offer a lifetime warranty. And Thanks for your help!

Back