1994 Grand Cherokee Oil leak passenger side upper back of engine

Henryhokk

Hello and thank you for this informative site. I am a new poster and will watch for a response.
I was using this vehicle as usual and suddenly developed a oil leak around the upper rear passenger side. It seems to be between the firewall and engine. It is rather serious slow but steady drips . I can't see between the firewall and engine to exactly pinpoint the leak. I don't see the filter oiled but do see some oil on top of transmission, underneath I see it leaking down from top area in rear coming down around the filter or above its area.

What could be some of the reasons ? Is this common?

Thank You
Henry

Hello and thank you for this informative site. I am a new poster and will watch for a response. I was using this vehicle as usual and suddenly developed a oil leak around the upper rear passenger side. It seems to be between the firewall and engine. It is rather serious slow but steady drips . I can't see between the firewall and engine to exactly pinpoint the leak. I don't see the filter oiled but do see some oil on top of transmission, underneath I see it leaking down from top area in rear coming down around the filter or above its area. What could be some of the reasons ? Is this common? Thank You Henry

It could be the valve cover. There is a common issue with the rear main seal leaking on 4.0s but if you see it above the bel housing then it's likely the valve cover. Fairly easy to replace. It's only bad if you don't watch the level or don't like oil on your driveway.

Back