2006 Jeep Liberty, MIL light on

candysweet

Hey guys, I am at a bit of a loss here. I just replaced my rad with a brand new rad yesterday. Tonight my MIL light came on. The stays on steady while I am stopped but will blink while I am driving. I haven't stopped for gas in awhile so I don't think it has anything to do with my gas cap. I'm thinking maybe some sort of vacuum leak? Any thoughts, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Blinking MIL is usually rough idle or misfiring... You may not be able to go above 25 or 35 mph. As blinking is telling you the vehicle is in safe mode.

You could shut the vehicle off. Turn the key from off to on three times slowly without starting the engine ending in the on position. The codes will show up in the odometer as. P0XXX. Then done. Post up all the codes.

Ps what did the temp gage show with the new rad? Are you overheating?

Last edited:
I tried what you suggested about turning the key from off to on three times but I was unable to get any codes to show up on the odometer at all. I tried it a few times but again no codes showed up for me. The reason I changed the rad was because I had a leak in it. The temp gauge never went over half with the old rad. I'm not sure what the temp was today, I didn't notice at all.

The key dance should work, try to go a bit faster (total time 3- 4 sec) There is too slow and too fast. Also all the way to off (not back one) to all the way on without starting. Some part stores will read them for free. Auto Z, advanced, O'rielly's.
Idk it's true but I read some vehicles post 2008 it doesn't work. Again idk but I've had it work on many years make and models except 97-2000. You could check your owners manual.

Last edited:

I watched the video to see how fast he was doing it and tried to replicate it but again after about 5 attempts it still wouldn't give me a code. I even tried holding down the odometer reset button while I turned the key in the ignition to on but it wouldn't give me a code that way either. I watched it perform all the tests, the needles all moved and all my panel lights came on but no codes were displayed for me. Thank you so much for your idea though, I really appreciate it. I think I am going to have to invest in an OBD II reader *smiles*.

Go to an auto parts store they will read the codes for free. O'Reilly's, advanced, auto zone.... Spend money on good parts not diagnostics.

I don't think we any of those here in Canada. The way I look at it, it will be a good investment. There is one on sale this week for 50% off so it is only $99. It seems to do everything I would want except take out the garbage *smiles*.

I had a friend of a friend come over and use his OBD reader, it pulled P2305, Misfire on cylinder 2. So I replaced the coil and the spark plug on cylinder 2 and he cleared the code and checked it again. It pulled the same code again. So now I am thinking that it might be the fuel injector but before I replace that I want to try taking the coil and spark plug that I just put in cylinder 2 and switch it to another cylinder to see if I still get the same error on the OBD.

I was also going to try adding some fuel injector cleaner as well before replacing the fuel injector to see if that yields any results or not.

What brand and part number spark plug? Verify the wiring yo the coil is not damaged. If it runs pull the plug after a bit to check color. Snap a pic and post it up. Make sure the gap is correct and it is fully seated.

yes it could be a stuck injector. Swapping is a good idea. Be sure the O-rings are not damaged or lost. Did you swap the coil before replacing it?

Some maintenance. Clean your battery, terminals and connectors. Clean the opposite side of the grounds (engine and body) and see that the alternator is charging your battery. Low battery does some weird stuff to the PCM and running vehicle.

If the miss moves around and you didn't change anything. Replace the CPK. They cause a host of issues before failing and when they do fail the engine shuts off and will not start again. Only use OEM parts as many fail right out of the box.

Back