cherokee driven in 4 hi for 4 yrs

Gennybro

A friend of mine has a 98 Grand cherokee larado. The previous owner had put it in 4 hi about 4 yrs ago and never took it out of 4 hi. Now there is a lot of noise comeing from the front end. He removed the front drive shaft and the noise went away. So what type of damage am I expecting to encounter when I go and try to help him fix it? He's in NY and I am in virginia. I plan on going up there in the spring to help him with it. He is crippled because of a botched back surgery and wont be of help to me. Just trying to get some pointers as to what I may encounter, and the best solution. Thanks

P.S. It has 4.o engine automatic.

I'd start with a transfer case rebuild with a new chain, working your way forward from there. Driveshaft rebuild, pinion bearings, axle ujoints/CV joints.

Thanks! I would probably be further ahead searching the junk yards for a transfer case and front axle from a wreck to replace everything. Does a dodge dacota have what I would be needing?

No, not for the front end. The grand uses the same front end the xj, mj, and tj uses, the dana 30, and can be swapped with any of those.

Find out the exact model zj he has because it might have full time 4x4 so 4hi might be the proper setting.

Dana 30 ? I thought the cherokees had a higher quality axle then that.

The 30 is a good one. It's the 35 and aluminum dana 44 that people complain about. He might have that aluminum dana 44 for his rear axle but probably just a dana 35 or Chrysler 8.25

Back