Brake light issue

Nick Gentile

Ok, so I'm hoping this is an easy fix.

I had my driver's side brake light go out (should have been an easy fix right? Lol). So, I got the manufacturer recommended bulbs and decided to replace both brake lights while I was at it. About two days later a friend pulls up beside me on the road to tell me my passenger side brake light was out. I asked about the driver's side and he said it was working fine.
So, earlier today (3 days after I found out the passenger side brake light was out) I'm told that BOTH sides are now not working. These bulbs were bought and put in less than two weeks ago. All other lights back there (turn signals, parking lights, even the top brake light) are working perfectly fine. Any idea what could be going on here?

Pull both bulbs and inspect to see if the filament is broken. I've had bulbs fail quickly.

If the bulbs look good check the ground connections. The sockets for corrosion and the voltage at the bulb with a voltmeter.

Lastly check the brake switch at the petal. If this is bad both will not work.

While you have the brake lenses off you could line the inside of the housing with reflective tape to improve the light distribution making them appear brighter.
Here is what I did
DSCF7242-1.jpg

A little dielectric grease wouldn't hurt either , Focusing on the electrical contacts. Harness connection's should be checked and greased as well , follow it back as far as humanly possible .

Back