Ignition Control Module headache

Jackson59

Hi - my 1988 Wagoneer did not start. Replaced coil about 3 months ago, everything seemed fine. Then one day, turned over and over, no start. Took coil out, "pushed" metal contacts together on module for better contact with coil, put coil back in, started right up. That lasted about 2 weeks and did it again. Have now put in new ignition control module, started right up, second day did it again! Removed coil, "pushed or bent if you will" contacts on module and it started right up after putting coil back in. Anyone experience this? Please Help!!!???!!!

Thanks, Jack

Hello and welcome to jeepz.com.
You could check the harness pigtail to the ignition module for an open with an ohm meter just to be sure there isn't a break in the strands . But it's more likely the pick up coil is weak and must be replaced . Unplug it from the ignition module and hold the ohm meter leads to its plug while someone cranks the engine . You should see a steady on and off reading that will have an even rhythm . I believe they are supposed to ohm out between 5 and 15 on the ohm scale but the reading while cranking is most important . To change one usually means removing the distributor drive gear roll pin and disassemble hear and shim(s) and pull the shaft to,replace pick up. Your 1988 must have quite a lot of mileage so it's likely the distributor is well worn and there would be excessive play in the shaft in the housing. A better plan may be to replace the distributor in its entire. Do,the diagnostics to determine the fault to be sure there are no issues anywhere else in the ignition system . Since you've replaced all the other components already , it's likely the fault is likely to be found in the distributor. Btw , is the rotor contact making good contact to,the. Distributor cap coil terminal ? Please make certain of this . The quality of tune up,parts today leave much to be desired as sold in kits and separate are t any better , depending on brands .

Thank you. Replaced distributor cap and rotor along with coil wire, now seems to be starting fine, keeping my fingers crossed!!!

Back