starting issue

SJD

My Jeep is a 1976 SJ(Cherekee) AMC 360 W/ headers
When warm my starter won't function , could it be getting to hot being so close to the headers ?
Is the best thing to wrap the headers ?

By starter wont function, I assume it wont turn at all when warmed up? Yes, it could be getting too hot from the headers. You can try to make a heat shield to deflect the heat, or try the header wrap. I haven't tried the header wrap before but have considered it, if you use the wrap and it does a pretty good job can you report back to us and let us know? Running a larger gauge wire to the starter could help too.

Your post is in the wrong section, you may not get a lot of responses because of that. should be in the Cherokee section and would get more responses..

Great thanks I put a heat shield but after I got the package open it said it needed 2in space so I am going to try the wrap the headers almost touch the starter

Did you change the timing as putting headers on will change what is needed.

headers do not change timing requirements. they change carburetor adjustments. Your timing is only affected by direct mechanical changes to the static components : Crank, Cam and Distributor, as well as any directly connected parts.

Back