2000 Grand rear disc brake removal

98Chero

My rear disc brake rotors are worn out, I have removed all the brake parts. I just have the disc brake rotor and axle. I thought the rotor would just come off with a little wd-40 and a hammer but the rotor seems to be stuck to the axle. do I need a special tool to remove the disc brake rotor from the axle ?

it should just come off. check the back side though because maybe the emergency brake pad is holding it in. if I remember right, the emergency brakes are still drum type and they are inside the back part of the rotor. I could be wrong but check that out. if I am wrong, just tap on the brake with a rubber mallet and it should pop right off

That is true there may be threaded holes in the rotor you could drive a bole through and force the seperation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Often times it takes brute force on older vehicles. Consider increasingly harder taps with a 3 lb sledge on the back side, rotating the axle and hitting the rotor in a different location each time. The rotors are shot so you're not going to hurt anything.

Wear eye protection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Members, cool you tube vid also. I have ordered the rotors and the Hayne's repair manual that covers that year model. I hope this weekend I can finish the job and I will report back to you all with the results.

FYI the Haynes book has many errors. The best is the factory service manual. It's costly but the best investment you could ever make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have several Haynes manuals [for different vehicles] and JPN is right that they have wrong info in them BUT I still find them useful. Might be frustrating for a novice but I've got where I find the mistakes amusing ...... but maybe I'm just not normal :roll:

Well the manual was correct all I needed to do is hit it with a bigger hammer lol the other rotor just fell off.

Hello All, I am changing out my brake system due to sticking callipers. I'm not too happy about it either. I found out that someone forgot to grease before installing new rotors, new pads new calliper a yr ago. I probably put around 2500 miles a yr on my 99 grand wj . I would like to take a step up and put better equipment on her but she is my first jeep and I'm having a hard time making up my mind what to buy. If anyone has some advice for me I would Greatly Appreciate it

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

What year and model jeep? What upgrades and what do you do with the jeep?

There are standard parts that work well and there are upgrades for heavy modded rock crawlers.

For a straight swap rock auto has a complete caliper rotor and brake set.

I run slotted and dimpled rotors with ceramic pads

Centric makes good calipers, rotors and pads for jeeps.
There is also. Vancouver big brake kit.

Just depends on what you want to spend.

Ps some greases on the glides are water soluble or have low temp melting point. Just saying.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

She is a gramma jeep, 99 Grand Cherokee Laredo . I live in a rural part of Oregon and also do city driving, so I guess I need something that is universal but quality as well. I don't put that many miles on her and I'm starting to think that might be why my callipers took a dump again. I would like to purchase mid grade callipers,rotors, and high grade pads. I also have to replace the hoses to the callipers as they suffered heat stress and I am not comfortable with the idea of blowing them off.
Thank you for your help

I guess I left a little bit out of my answer to your questions. I do four wheel a little bit, mostly because I have to. I do like to drive at high speeds and have plenty of sharp corners and farm land where I live. I'm looking for best quality with lowest price. I have a lot of apron strings to cut, if you know what I mean

It's your choice but both rock auto.com and Centric are good rock auto has a good deal for all four calipers, rotors and pads. Napa calipers are a good choice. Centric is good. I use performance brake dimple and slotted with ceramic that have served me well.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

Last edited:
Thank you for your help, I was looking at both brands that you recommended. Napa has their callipers on sale, I might get them. I'm going to check Centric again. I am definitely going to put vented rotors on this time. Hopefully my problem with sticking callipers will go away

Vented rotors don't stop calipers from sticking.

A well built or rebuilt caliper with properly greased guides are the best Also being sure the area the pad rides on the caliper is clean and smooth to keep pads from sticking is important.

The venting and slotting on rotors help cool the rotor and whisk away brake dust and dirt.
I used them because I had to drive down a steep hill daily. The hill is steep enough for the jeep to maintain 65-70 without applying gas. The bad part was the hill has many sharp bends and banked turns that you need to slow to down to 35 to stay on the road. That, and the speed limit was 45. My original rotors warped due to that hill.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Last edited:
Back