Check gages light

Cherokee2004

Hi, I have a 2004 Grd Cherokee 4.7 V8 and the check gages light comes on every so often when Im at a stop and the oil pressure gage needle goes down to the L . Does tbis mean I need a new oil pressure senor or something else is going out ? After i start moving again the gage light goes off and the needle moves back into the middle position as normal. Thanks for any help you can offer...

First thing to check is the oil level! At what RPM does it idle? how does the engine sound at an idle? does the temp go up if you idle for a prolonged time?

Try cleaning or replacing your oil sensor, they are prone to get dirty and give bad readings causing all kinda worries from the owner to the computer. I had a jeep cherokee that oil pressure gauge would go to 0 at idle then back to normal at driving speed. it turned out to be a dirty oil sensor. I replaced the oil sensor with a new one and the problem was solved.

it idles fine and drives fine. Oil level is good and recently was done less than 3 weeks ago. I'm pretty sure from what I been seeing on this forum its the sensor. I think I will replace it and found one at O'Reillys for 9.99. hopefully this will d the trick.

I'd try cleaning the connection first. Not sure about your engine but on the 4.0 I used to have the location of the sending unit will allow oil to pour out when removed. I replaced mine at the same time I changed the oil. You can do it now but just have everything ready so you can immediately install the new one.

Thanks, I replaced the sensor last weekend and seems to be working just fine now. I replaced it with an after market brand and it seems to be doing fine and the light no longer comes on. Thanks for your help....

Back