Door Problems with Key FOb

BillyD56

I posted something in private message and that might have been the wrong place to do that so I will post it here instead. I drive a 2011 Jeep Liberty which I have had about 2 years. THe problem just started or at least I just noticed over the weekend. The key fob wont lock the doors. It makes all of the sounds and the light flash but it wont lock the doors. I tried locking the doors from inside using the buttons and that doesn't work either. When I open the door from the outside the alarm goes off, not all the time but sometimes or maybe its the panic button; they've both been going off. If I manually lock them, it works, but when I open the door on the drivers side all of them come unlock at the same time. I need help diagnosing the problem to see if I can correct it myself before seeking assistance elsewhere or taking it to the dealer. I replaced the car battery about a month ago, so I don't know if that would have anything to do with what is happening now. About 2 weeks ago I got into the Jeep and noticed the time was incorrect by several hours although I had done nothing to the battery as far as disconnecting it (the clock can be set and over time it is off by 10-15 minutes).

Welcome to Jeepz.com

Does this problem affect all (2 or 4 ) doors, or just the driver door? Will the power locks unlock the door if they are manually locked?

If it's just one door then I'd point my finger at the lock actuator or hardware for that door. If it's more than one door I'm out of guesses.

First fix the battery issue. It sounds like you have some bad connections. When the time is off I bet your trip odometer is reset. This happens when you loose power.
Clean the terminal ends to a bright shine and be sure they are bright and shinny. Also clean the opposite ends of the grounds and power to a shine on both the wire and contact end.

Also inspect power and ground wires for corrosion. If found replace them.

Edit: get your battery load tested.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

that's weird how your time is slow now. that worries me. I would check connections, like mentioned above, and maybe do a reset where you leave the battery disconnected for 15 or 20 minutes to see if it will clear

Welcome to Jeepz.com

Does this problem affect all (2 or 4 ) doors, or just the driver door? Will the power locks unlock the door if they are manually locked?

If it's just one door then I'd point my finger at the lock actuator or hardware for that door. If it's more than one door I'm out of guesses.

well, it applies to all 4 doors. The fob will unlock the doors, but it will not lock the doors. Also, I can't lock the doors or unlock them from inside, when I hit the unlock button I can hear a sound coming from the rear as if something is being openness, but nothing happens with the locks. When I pull open door on drivers side all the locks pop open.
I'm sure when this all started, but I just realised it a couple of days ago. I did put a new battery in it about a month ago, so I don't know if that would have something to do with it or not???

When they replaced the battery at the dealer they told me they did that just to make sure it was something else that caused battery to go dead. They told me system checked out and the battery was old and needed replacing.
I will check out what you've suggested and see what happens. Thanks for the advice.

When they replaced the battery at the dealer they told me they did that just to make sure it was something else that caused battery to go dead. They told me system checked out and the battery was old and needed replacing. I will check out what you've suggested and see what happens. Thanks for the advice.

Load testing a battery insures the battery has enough power to start the engine. It will not tell you if or what is draining your battery. If they checked for key off and key on current draw then they were looking to determine, if there may be something that killed the battery. Just an FYI.

Being the doors unlock when you open the drivers door, you could have a wiring issue in the door hinge area where the wires pass from the door to chassis.

I think you have bad grounds somewhere. I have been thinking about this and I think that's what you have. but, to check for your drain, turn everything off and pull each fuse, one by one, in a quiet area. listen for a small crackle or pop from electricity. you will have one fuse that crackles because its your radio memory but you should not have a few. that will tell you which system has any shorts.

I agree! Either a ground or wire issue. The fact that all doors unlock when the drives door is opened is either a broken wire making contact or the dome light providing a power or ground to the door lock circuit.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

Well,I got that dreaded news I'd been reading about when I took it in to the dealer to have some servicing done. I told them again for the second or third time about some things my Jeep was doing; key fob not locking doors, stalling out at low speed mostly, crazy lights all coming on at the same time on dash, etc. They diagnosed it as being the TIPM, that module that control everything on vehicle is going out. They want $1200 to replace it. Does anyone know where I can find one of these TIPM? Any idea how much one would cost? Can I install it myself? Any info would be appreciated...thank you! One more thing..I need to replace my rear shocks, any suggestions on a good brand for replacement? Any idea on what it will cost and where to take here in KC. Dealership wants $300 plus to change them.????

Back