98 sport cherokee

aussie

gday all mite this mite not apply to all or maybe no one but hopefully someone
my 98 sport all of a sudden started shutting down while driving with no warning after reading a heap of posts i was about to start changing out all my sensors and what not when i popped the bonnett and realised a clicking sound coming from my distributer cap while engine was idling i put my first 2 fingers on top and could feel the clicking and i was unsure so i numbered all the leads before removing unscrewed the 2 philips heads and pulled off for inspection what i found was a heap of corrosion on the top points where the leads click on to and the back end of the rotar looked to be a little burnt like a little bit of black there so i sand papered the black bit on rotar top and underneath i also wire brushed all the points on the top of cap and tried cleaning inside the leads and blew out dust i put all back together and my beautiful car hasnt cut out since my faith has been restored in its reliability as a daily traveler now this mite not fix everyones but it cost me nothing and could be ur easy fix too worth a look also my car wasnt backfiring running rough or coughing n splattering it was simply cutting out so i had to always pull over and keep trying to start so looks like on pay day i mite go get some leads and stuff and give it good service as this car and jeeps in general r new to me
cheers hope this helps someone n good luck cause for a change i had a bit of luck

Thanks Mate for sharing your experiance. sometimes its just regular tune-up parts that are the cause of engine performance. glad to hear your faith has been restored in your Jeeps reliability.
Good day and Cheers
:beer:

Back