Buying a Cherokee with high mileage

JeepRebel

I am looking into buying a Grand Cherokee Laredo with high mileage... what's your take on buying one of these with anywhere between 175k-193k? I know the dealer of the 175k is asking $4950 and the other one is asking $3950 on the 193k, but he's really trying to help me work around my budget. Thoughts on buying high mileage Jeeps like this? They are both 04s. How many miles do you generally get out of them? I plan on traveling all 50 states in a few months and I need something that is going to last. Keep in mind, I am a beginner at Jeep education (haha).

It all depends on the maintenance of the jeep 300k + is easy 400+ is possible

Sent from my SM-G935V using Jeepz.com mobile app
I agree. My 2000 grand has 230,000 and has been well taken care of and i would drive it from Cali to New York and back with no problems. If it starts good and runs good with no major leaks of anykind then your good to go just keep changing the oil and filter, plus air and fuel flters.

I have to chime in on this one.. I bought a 2005 liberty last year for $2000, the milage scared me to death, but it was so clean and ran great.. are you ready??? currently 290,000 miles on it and like I said, runs awesome. all depends on how it was taken care of I guess.. I have never even seen a running car with that many miles on it... asking price of what you are looking at with those miles is too high in my opinion.

What would be y'alls offer for either Jeep... both on the 193k and the 175k? 175k has been taken care of amazingly. You can tell it hasn't been off road, the care of the vehicle is superb... the 193k says it's probably been off road a few times. What should I offer?

What would be y'alls offer for either Jeep... both on the 193k and the 175k? 175k has been taken care of amazingly. You can tell it hasn't been off road, the care of the vehicle is superb... the 193k says it's probably been off road a few times. What should I offer?

Where do you live?

For me, I'd be looking in the $2-3K range. Don't get married to just those Jeeps though, be sure to shop around.

Here are a couple that may be OK in Chattanooga

2004 Laredo (doesn't list miles) $2500
https://chattanooga.craigslist.org/cto/6003592238.html

2004 Laredo 174k asking $4000
https://chattanooga.craigslist.org/cto/6004376883.html

2004 Laredo 182k asking $3000
https://chattanooga.craigslist.org/cto/5968288999.html

The ones you're looking at don't seem that out of line with these prices. $3800 seems pretty reasonable for 175k.

I prefer to buy my Jeeps from private parties as opposed to dealers (just me trying to save a buck).

I am out of Knoxville, and the thing is, I can't travel anywhere, at least not that far until I actually have a car... which sucks for me. The only reason I am able to travel to these two dealers is because they are both within walking distance of the house. How about the 193k Jeep? Maybe a solid $3k or less?

How about the 193k Jeep? Maybe a solid $3k or less?

I was once told that "If you aren't embarrassed by your offer, then you're doing it wrong". 3K would probably be fine - from looking on craigslist in your area, that seems to be the norm.

Forgot to mention, if you haven't tried it yet, check out uber. It's really amazing, and pretty cheap in the short term. That may give you more options.

Can't do Uber.... I live so deep in the country, Uber actually is non existent out here! I have tried it, even have it installed on my phone, but Uber doesn't exist out here which sucks.

I am out of Knoxville, and the thing is, I can't travel anywhere, at least not that far until I actually have a car... which sucks for me. The only reason I am able to travel to these two dealers is because they are both within walking distance of the house. How about the 193k Jeep? Maybe a solid $3k or less?
Go to Kelly Blue Book dot com and see what the real price of your rides are. The dealer probably paid less than the blue book price. Tell the Dealer its only worth X amount according to kelly Blue book. Its worth a try. I was working in TN last year and jeeps do sell at a premium price if they are 4x4. 2x4s dont sell that well there.

3k is my max on jeeps. And they have to be super clean to get 3k. If you are in a spot though, sometimes you have to give a bit on price to get a vehicle. I have been there, i have done it. If you like one, start low and work to something you can live with. Don't pay high and than be stuck unhappy or broke each month because of the payment and insurance, or having to keep fixing it.

Went to test one 4x4 Jeep, total scam. Looked nothing like the pictures, missing multiple parts from the pictures/etc, and won't go lower than over $4k... this from dealer #1. Dealer #2 said it was 4wd, went to see it, wasn't 4wd... was actually 2wd rwd and wouldn't take any less than around $5k for it. Wouldn't even budge. I'll take your advice with the $3k with some local non-dealer people and see how it goes.

Sounds like a good plan, man. Dealers suck

Back