Lubing slip joints

bradleyheathhays

'96 XJ AW4 here and for a while I've had this clunking sound just when I come to a stop and right when taking off again. From the feeling and sound if it I'm guessing it's coming from somewhere in the drive line somewhat toward the rear. The sound doesn't repeat itself, it's just one solid clunk when stopping and again when starting. Asked around about it before but nobody had any solid ideas about it.

So couple days ago I see this write-up describing how to grease the slip joints of XJs 97 and up. And in it is a description of a sounds exactly like what I've got. So all happy I've prob found the culprit I re-read the write up again and see it's only for, yes 97s and up.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/greasing-slip-joint-97-xj-s-write-up-357569/

What's the deal with trying to do the same to my '96? Is my drive line that much different from the 97?

you should have a zerk fitting on your driveshaft so you can lube it. my makes a clunk, the same way. mine is the input bearing is bad

Besides u-joints in the front and rear driveshaft look at the joints in the axels.

Check your transmission and motor mounts.

Also check the swaybar connectors. They pull apart and you might not notice on a quick inspection. You may notice these when turning too but mine was when slowing to turn.

EDIT: one more if you have rear springs inspect them for cracks in the leafs near the center bolt.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

Last edited:
Sorry I've been a while getting back here, too many distractions. But thanks for all the great advice.

How many u-joints are in my drive line? I know of only 4.. 2 at the ends of the driveshaft, and 1 in both the L and R front axles. Are the rear L and R axles built the same way as the front? If so that just makes 6 altogether.

Good looking on the cracks in the leafs, first I've heard of this one. What's the best way to inspect them? Just get up under the rear and check their inside edges? Or do they need to be checked from the outside too?

Bushings, tr ends, mounts, connectors, etc are all on my hit list this summer, so we'll see how far I get.

Just 6 u joints two on each driveshaft and only the front has axel joints. They are there to allow you to steer.

Yes inspect the edges look for separation. I had it happen on a F150 called spring wrap. Comes from launching starts with no load. I ended up leaving 1/2 of the spring on the road with the dealer mechanic that said he couldn't find/hear an issue.

Are you just changing them regardless or just won't get to them until the summer?
Check the sway bar connectors or you could have a dangerous condition.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Back