02 Grand stuck in 4x4

98Chero

I just traded for a 02 Grand 4x4 4.0l auto. even tho the selector is in 2WD its still in 4x4 mode ?. it was on a used car lot so many people have test driven it. I am guessing the owner never used the 4x4 because it was very hard to shift from 2wd to 4x4 and low 4x4. what part of the Jeep should I be looking at to put it back in 2WD. I just got this Jeep today so I have not had much time to look into it. any help would be appriciated.

I would get under and check the t-case and the motor and trans mounts. the t-case might use a cable with how new it is so the mounts might not have an affect on that anymore

I just traded for a 02 Grand 4x4 4.0l auto. even tho the selector is in 2WD its still in 4x4 mode ?. it was on a used car lot so many people have test driven it. I am guessing the owner never used the 4x4 because it was very hard to shift from 2wd to 4x4 and low 4x4. what part of the Jeep should I be looking at to put it back in 2WD. I just got this Jeep today so I have not had much time to look into it. any help would be appriciated.

Always the same step 1 SCAN with a scanner.
Sometimes it helps to be in Reverse this will 'unload' the components.. then N -
If no luck follow advice and observe shifter at transfer case - tight no play?

Is there any body lift on this?
Look at the linkages as mentioned. See if anything is binding.
If they never used 4wd then the corrosion buildup may be causing it to stick in gear.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

No lift kit. completely stock and very clean !. I wd40 all the cables top and bottom. Im going to drive it around and see if that cured it ? I will report back. Thanks Guys.

My TJ takes a bit of work to shift through the gears, especially 4wd. I'll usually shift from Drive to Neutral, then to reverse, and back again, and that will help coax it into 4WD.

I think the WD worked. I test if its in 4x by driving on a paved parking lot and make sharp turns, if the front tires Bunny Hops or makes skidding noise then its in 4x. well it didnt hop or make noise in 2x today so i think I fixed that problem. what I did was to put it in neutral and put the 2x 4x selector in low 4x, that way most of the cable was in the cab. I pulled back the debris/dust cover from around the shifter and found the cable with a flashlight, then i sprayed WD on the cable and housing plus all moving parts on the transfer case and transmission. Lets say that it is still in Part-Time 4x4 ? would driving on the highway at 60mph harm the trany or transfer case?

I think jeeps are ok to drive on the highway in 4 hi or part time. my 94 grand was full time 4x4 and I drove it across the usa.

Back