Checking out a used car...

bradleyheathhays

Ideally before getting into a 10 yo used car you'd want to have a trusted garage check it out with all their fancy equipment. But say you've found what you're looking for in a city far far away and you aren't able to schedule for a professional mechanic to look at it when you get there...so it's all up to you.

Other than checking for the obvious things like button functions, what all systems/parts should a reasonably proficient DIY mechanic test/look at on the vehicle to be?

Off the top of my head I'd check for...

- test each cylinder for compression
- and look at each spark plug for build up
- look for rust underneath
- move tires when sitting still to look for shifting in the knuckle
- get under the front with a pry bar and check suspension for loose connections

The car i'll be looking to buy is a 2006-7 BMW 325i or 330i (non turbo) with the straight 6 3.0 N52 or N53 engines, if that helps with the recommendations.

Other than this short list above what else should I be looking at?

Check the fuel filter, everyone forgets about the fuel filter. The fuel filter has everything to do with hard starting, fuel economy, performance etc.. You have a good list of things to check Congrats on your new to you bmw.

Last edited:
Get a history report from Carfax (www.carfax.com), AutoCheck (www.autocheck.com), the free VINCheck from the National Insurance Crime Bureau (www.nicb.org), and two services providing information from the federal government's National Motor Vehicle Title Information Systems database (www.nmvtis.gov).Look for big things like number of owners. Odometer readings to the actual odometer.
Is or reconstructed or totaled at any time? Flood?
Don't rely on just the reports or believe they capture it all.

There is a gov recall database online listing all auto recalls. Check that out.

Ideally you want to drive it around to heat it up and light up and codes that may have been reset. Three cold to operating temp usually does the trick.
Read the codes even if the CEL light isn't on.

Brakes. Look at pad & caliper thickness. Drive and feel for warp.

Fluid colors. Brake clear slightly yellow. Steering, transmission and oil, none should be brown or black.

Be sure the oil is clean. But if it looks like it was just changed open the filler and look at the underside of the filler plug . It should be clean. It should not look milky.

Be sure all the heater and AC works. Yes eventhough it is summer turn the heater on full.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Last edited:

i agree with terry on the cheap reader or Bluetooth plug in and torque app from the playstore.

put a dollar over the tail pipe while its idling and look for popping. that means burned valves. just drive it though, like its meant to be. that will tell you if its ok. I am a bmw guy too and that is the best way, go through the gears quickly a few times and take th turns quickly

Back