Sometime, won't start

tinker

Drive around days on, then go out turn the key, silence. Lights radio dash all work but 2002 Jeep Liberty won't start.
Cleaned battery post, it started. But few days later, no start.
Replaced with new battery, But few days later, no start.
I found if I loosen and tighten, battery post connection, it might start.
Tap on post with crescent wrench, it might start.
Wiggle Battery Post cables, it might start.
So now I drive with a crescent wrench, cause it might not start.
Suggestions?

clean and tighten all battery cables both ends, starter and Gnd .
Confirm cable end is tightening at battery connector.
Let us know if any added BS such as remote starter.

STOP hitting it.

Check the cables they can corrode. Also the battery sits on a battery temp sensor. Make sure it is connected.
The cleaning mentioned above is important. Clean the opposite end of the grounds.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

Take your battery terminals off completely ( should be a 7/16 wrench) put terminals in a container and add some soda pop, the soda in soda pop will kill the acid also dip your battery cables in the soda pop fluid. let all your parts and cables soak for a few minutes then wire brush your cables back to pure copper and wire brush your terminals inside and out. If this cures your problem then spray some battery protector on your connections.

I hope this helps.

When you turn the key on do you hear the fuel pump kick on.

When you turn the key to start and there is nothing, do the lights dim or the trip odometer reset to zero?

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Last edited:

When you turn the key on do you hear the fuel pump kick on.

When you turn the key to start and there is nothing, do the lights dim or the trip odometer reset to zero?

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

This happened to me...turned out to be fuel pump...

replace terminals those cheap terminals should be replaced every 3 years to avoid those problems

Back