Flapper where you put gas in fell down into the hose 02 grand

98Chero

Problem is that it wont take gas very good. the pump keeps kicking off. Im sure the flapper is the problem, but to get to the gas hose and remove it so I can get the flapper out, I guess I am going to have to remove the gas tank. I hope you understand what I mean by flapper, its when you stick the gas nozzle in and it pushes the flapper/gate open and then when you remove the nozzle it closes. I tried removing the sheild around the gas tank but it seems that the bolts also hold the gas tank in place ?. anyone been down this road on their Grand before. need advise.

MY mental picture is I doubt its the 'anti siphon' flap.
Is your CEL on ? Description sounds like vent valve issue.

Suggest you scan system even if light is off.

OK did I misread - the flapper is missing? or you suspect it is the problem?
Maybe some history - did u remove it, push it down and it fell, was there a problem before losing it? Is it still there?

It was missing when I bought the jeep and it has always been hard to put gas in it. I suspect the flapper came loose and fell down the gas hose while the previous owner had it ? K-2 I am not ruling out the vent valve as the problem either, just I can picture in my mind the flapper hung-up in the anti siphon area.

Last edited:

I would SCAN first - even if CEL is off.
My thinking is getting the whole picture before R&R parts...

PS I am a total optimist

I gluded a small earth magnet to a wire and tried to see if I could snag the missing flapper but I think its staniless and wont grab the magnet. Then I tried a staniless coat hanger with a hook made on the end to snag it. I could feel ( not see) that I was hitting something just around the curve in the fuel line. I then desided to cut the hanger flush with fuel cap area and push it in and leave it there. went down to local gas station and it fills up with no problems at all. I think the hanger is keeping the flapper parreal to the hose ? I did get a code a few minutes ago P0455. K-2 whats a CEL ?

CEL - your friend the Check Engine Light.

P0455 is a EVAP system large leak.
Did you SCAN or do the key dance?
>>> the key dance will NOT display all codes.

I did the " key dance" yes my cel is on and so is my abs and air-bag lights ? I guess I need to go to a auto parts store or dealership to get all the codes, for right now its taking gas even when you have the handle wide open... so its kinda a hooky-rig with the hanger stuck in the gas hose, but its working.

The code may be there if you were driving around without the gas cap on or not tightened.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

JP the Jeep came with a bad gas cap and I replaced it with a new one from a Napa Parts Store. Right now the 02 grand is drivable and easy to put gas in. I used my 2000 Grand as a trade in on the 02 and sold my 2000 4x4 sport so I would have the money to put it in the 02. My hope is to have one Jeep that drives with Style and can get Sassy in Bad weather.

Back