Is my 96 Sport legal to drive on the road with all 4 doors off ?

98Chero

My 1996 Cherokee sport 4x4 is just sitting in my yard right now. It has some engine troubles and 300.000 miles on it. I want to fix the engine troubles and remove the doors because they are worn out !. I want to make it like a CJ with 2/55 AC and look more like a Hummer. Whats the laws in your state about removing doors on a car ?

google it. in texas, no. only wranglers, cj, and samurai

superJ I am not surprized about TX. when I lived there I was pulled over for not having my engine hood on in a datson pick-up. I will try and google it but It might be easier for me just to pull over a Cop or Sheriff and ask sense they are the ones that will be pulling me over.

Stopped by the Police dept and the Captain said I could take the 4 doors off my cherokee no problems. He said " If he had a jeep he would take the doors off" but he added " a BMW with no doors would not be ok". A friend of mine that used to live in AZ said its common to see Cherokee's and other model jeeps with the doors taken off and on the road. I guess it depends where you live and your local laws.

You see them here also but by law, they are not legal. It just depends on what kind of mood the officer is in when he sees you, I guess.

Good you found out though

I was thinking of putting side boards on it. I would take a 4'x8' sheet of 5/16" or 1/4" plastic panel and rip it down to 6" strips 8' long, I havnt takin a tape measure to it but I think I will be able to curve each end of the strips and fit it into the curves on the wheel wells. that way there would be a 4" high barrier so things that hit the floor wouldnt just roll out. Might make it look more legal.

Back