Full time 4 wheel drive

CruleNIGHTWING

I was driving my 02 jeep grand cherokee threw some heavy weather about a week ago and tried to use my full time 4 wheel drive setting. I moved the shifter into the correct setting and made sure the Patr time light went off. When I hit the gas, i was still i 4 wheel Part time. No mater if I am moving or sitting still I cant get it in 4 wheel Full time. Please help. Thanks

Sent from my SM-S820L using Jeepz.com mobile app

Likely a simple adjustment of the shift linkage. Look at the linkage on the transfer case and you'll see a rod passing through the shift arm with a bolt holding the rod in place.

I am guessing a select trac NV242?

If so did you try to use 2wd? Sometimes T'cases get 'stuck'* in 4wd - shifting to N or reverse may unload Tcase from the current position .

*Torque locked would be a good description

Attachments

• st_shifter nv242.jpg
    st_shifter nv242.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 1,716
I can get it back in 2wd bu ba king up about 30 feet or so. Its getting into 4 full time that seems to be giving me the trouble. I will be checking the linkage as soon as i can. Thanks

what about N and 4lo - can you select those?

trying to help if this Is slect trac NV242 confirm..... use wd40 when checkg cable and linkage movement

Attachments

• nv242 FYI.JPG
    nv242 FYI.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 499
Last edited:

I never understood the "Part Time 4x4 " on my 02 Grand. When i am at home i work part time on things. How does it know to be 4x4 and sometimes 2x4 ?

Last edited:
part time and 4lo are serious 4wd. Wheels need to slip during turns, so no pavement.

4wd full time is akin to AWD, the front and rear drive shafts make use of a differential and are not locked.

I know what each 4 wd setting is for. I live in indiana and play in mud. Lol. Not to often. About once a month. Just to keep everything lubed.

Ok. Sorry it took so long to get back to everyone. I checked everything y'all suggested and nothing worked, so I took it to a Jeep dealer. Turns out that my jeep like to be moving at about 20 mph to move in to 4 we full time. It won't go into it if I'm at a stand still. I can put in in any other position at a stand still but Full Time needs at least 20 mph. So that works now. Thanks for all the suggestions and help. It's nice to have a place to go to for help.

Back