Lunch box lockers in rear

Oldfart

Doing my bucket list, I have a 05 liberty pulling a small camp trailer put 20k last year. I'm on oxygen Thinking about putting lunch box locker in the rear I am on social security so my funds are limited good or bad ideal? I love following trails (medium rating)

Welcome to Jeepz.com!

I've got an Aussie locker in the front of my Wrangler, and I'm happy with it. I have no personal experience with rear lockers, but I've heard that lunchbox lockers in the rear can be problematic, causing the Jeep to be a bit squirrelly, and to chip around corners.

What kind of rear axle do you have in that Liberty?

We'll have to wait for some of the guys with more experience to chime in on this.

Yes I have a 8.25 29 spline open diff. Was also looking at a new Dana Trax loc on eBay it says it is what would have came stock from factory. But seen some of bad reviews so I don't know which way to go. Do the clutches wear that fast? Any help would be appreciated. Or just leave it stock? Thanks Tom

Last edited:

the wife's 02 liberty had the factory locker in it and I never had trouble. it worked great on the river trails in central texas

So the Dana Trax loc would be a good choice? How many miles would the clutches wear, and are they replaceable? Thanks for all the help

Take a good look at the Detroit TruTrac, gear driven limited slip with no clutches to wear out, seamless operation onroad.

Bought one of those gear limited slip the the bolts wouldn't work called 4 wheel parts for another 110 sell me install kit that might work. Told them just send it back to them. Now I got a Dana Trax loc. I'm waiting for it to get here.let everyone know how it all works when I get it installed. Thanks

Keep us updated, I'd like to know how it works for you. I've got a Ford 8.8 with the factory limited slip in the rear, and when I first rebuilt the limited slip it seemed to really help offroad. It's been a couple of years, and I think the pack is pretty well worn out at this point.

Had one of those Detroit true Trac, it was gear driven. Here the story on. My son order it through his work,he gave them all the info and vin#. They sent wrong one, so they sent correct one. The mechanic took my old one apart and was putting the new together, The bolts shoulder was to big. It lacked about 1/4" getting tight, called up 4 wheel parts and they uh . We got a install kit for another 110.00 it might work told them no thanks. They sent the return labels then sent the first one back so got another return label sent it back. Finally disputed the charge on Friday. I thought 4 wheel parts was better than that. Going to leave 10/5 head down to Durango and get this Dana Trax loc installed

Back