2 XJ questions and an identify this picture contest

bradleyheathhays

1) Are the front and rear leaf spring bushings on a '96 XJ the same part?

2) My front sway bar measures 1.014 in or 25.75mm diameter. The bushings that attach it to the frame (on rockauto) are sold in 23, 24, 26, and 26.5 mm sizes. I would be looking for the 26mm?

3) and finally..what are these to...?

M grills.JPG

M grill.JPG

Picked up a front windshield along with these two that's really narrow left to right and is curved back on the bottom outside corners resembling something like a '63 Chevy C10. Have no clue what they're to, or if the windshield and grill parts even go together.

no no you do not select part #s that is the job of a PROFESSIONAL, if you pick it you own it, you describe what you need they do the F'ckin research.

All they should need is the VIN#.or the RPO#.

the rear leaf spring forward and rear bushings are different.

Suggest NAPA - build a relationship fro those had to find items

Sorry no idea what those items are.

Yes thanks for that advice. I've needed to hear that before.

Turns out these are grills to a Nash Metropolitan. I might try to clean these up some and hang them on the wall. Any idea what I could do to get them looking a little better?

You should not be afraid to ask questions here. It is great you are learning about your jeep and trying to understand parts and components. You can become knowledgeable by doing and interacting with the right people.
Auto part stores will sell you what they have and are urged to upsell you. Not that they are all bad, but I have been given parts that were not for my vehicle, or did not fit, or perform.

Is your jeep and the springs stock or a part of a lift kit? If a kit do you know the brand?

For the track bar, the MOOG one piece is the best performance. For how difficult replacing the bushing can be without a press, replacing the entire track bar is economical.

When you reinstall it just be sure to use the largest bolt in the track bar on the axel side. On TJ the stock bolt is much smaller and allows for lots of movement.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

Last edited:
I am confused - often but I try and help

Sway bar Or track bar? might be my reading comprehension :???:

But moog is a good recommendation

Attachments

• swayortrack.JPG
    swayortrack.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 188
I'm actually replacing the two front sway bar links (vertical pieces from the axle up to the sway bar), along with associated bushings and the two bushings that cushion the sway bar in the two brackets that attach it to the frame.

Is #11 in that pic the track bar? I believe I replaced that one, actually with a Moog a few years back.

I'm in a 96 XJ btw.

Turns out these are grills to a Nash Metropolitan. I might try to clean these up some and hang them on the wall. Any idea what I could do to get them looking a little better?

I think they'd look great as is hung on the shop/garage wall! I suppose you could clean them with a brillo pad.

Back