Fuel injector upgrade for the 4.0, and how to?

bradleyheathhays

What's this I've been reading on the fuel injector upgrade for the 4.0? I've had my 96 XJ since 2006 and had the same injectors all that time. It's always had a little misfire even after a tuneup so I figure I might as well try this upgrade, especially since I saw one report of it only costing like 30 something bucks from ebay. Maybe those are used injectors?

Is this worth it and what model injectors should I be looking for?

Also, in a vid I saw there was a lot of gunk around the hole the injector came out of. One guy said to clean it up with a q tip soaked in carb cleaner. Another said to scrape it out with a screwdriver. When I do my plugs I just blow everything out real good w/ compressed air before I take them out. Should I do this same step when doing the injectors? This would be the first time I've taken the fuel rail or injectors out btw.

For jeeps I wouldn't stray from the Mopar injector's. They are by no means a performance vehicle and you most likely will run into some unwanted issues after service, think of it as getting a lift for a BMW X6. Injectors are not difficult to swap out, I usually will use a Hanes manual or watch a few youtube vids. I did replace my 94 XJ's back in 02 with my Dad, I remember it was fairly straight forward, and like all other things, you want to take your time and make sure everything in clean.

Injector swaps are a great easy cheap mod. I used a set from a mid '90s Ford v8 like the Crown Vic. They're 4 hole nozzles instead of the Jeep single hole, so fuel atomization improves. It smoothed out the idle in my Jeep.

Thanks for the info. First I'm hearing about these unwanted side effects, although that sounds like a wise caution. What would be some of the anticipated problems?

I know of no reason to not upgrade. No downsides that I've seen.

Installed correctly there are no issues. Just be sure all the gaskets are in good shape and seat correctly. Missing, damaged or ill seated o-ring gaskets will lead to rough idle.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

Back