Serious newbee w/ some general Qs.

danicus007

Okay please bare with me while I ask a few questions. I couldn't find anywhere what a YJ,XJ,ZJ,WJ, etc. are. I just put a deposit down on a 1998 Grand Cherokee Laredo and I was wondering if this is a YJ,XJ,ZJ,WJ, or something else.

Also does anyone have any advice they could offer me on the new car? I've done a bit of research and they seem pretty solid. Any troubles I should expect? I know the gas mileage isn't great, but I had a '97 Z28 before this so I know about buying gas :-D

I paid $7,500 for the Jeep and it has 67K miles and is in great shape. Thanks in advance for your responses.[addsig]

hey... sounds like you got a pretty good deal... as far as the condition and maintenence and such of these things, the biggest thing you need to look for is noises. (listen actually, most people can't see noises unless they're trippin')... a clunk, whistle, etc... are all signs of something that may be wrong. the quieter the jeep, the better, except for the noise of your tires on the road and the wind blowing around your head.

Lingo
XJ = Cherokee (mid-size) (1984-2001)
KJ = Liberty (replaced Cherokee) (2002 - Current)
ZJ = Grand Cherokee (?93? - 1998)
WJ = Grand Cherokee (1999 - Current)

i have composed a newbie FAQ sheet on my website, you may be interested...
http://dingus.tqhosting.com/jeep/xj_tech_faq.htm

edited by: dingus, May 14, 2003 - 09:53 AM[addsig]

Thanks for the quick response and the link to your Newbie FAQ. Your FAQ is awesome and will come in extremely handy.

I made sure to test drive the Jeep a few times and I took it on the interstate and ran it at 90mph and it was smooth. I can hear no noises or whining at all. It only had one owner before me.

So I guess mine will be considered a ZJ since its a '98 Grand Cherokee. Thanks for all your help. If anyone has any other advice, please feel free to chime in. I guess everyone here loves their Jeep? I really like this one so I'm looking forward to owning it :) [addsig]

not only does everyone here LOVE their jeep, but we all tend to spend a little too much time on this board as well. hopefully you'll get addicted to the information on this board as we all grow in our knowledge together.[addsig]

Heh..I guess the CJ, YJ and TJ aren't good enough to be listed in this section lmao :lol:

Rob :p :cool: :) [addsig]

Glad to join the family :p

Okay now I've got another newbie question. Sorry if it's a dumb one. But what do the YJ, TJ, ZJ, etc. actually stand for? I'm assuming the J is for jeep...LOL.

BTW, I should be picking up my Cherokee tomorrow.[addsig]

yj is wranglers from 87-95
tj is wranglers from 97 to current
zj is new grand cherokees
cj is old jeeps, up to '86[addsig]

Back