Need advice on Grand Cherokee WJ Instabality

Garyk

Can anybody advise me on how to fix the problem I have with my 03 Grand Cherokee? She is very unstable on the road especially when decelerating she shakes and wobbles quite severely. I suspect suspension linkages and bushes.
Any thoughts?

Does it shake and wobble only when you touch the brakes, or at other times as well?

The first thing I'd do is jack up the front and inspect all the steering parts. Also make sure the wheels are tight/secure.

Have you done anything to it lately?
Does it have a lift or taller tires?
Is it bad when driving bet worse when stopping. With brake applied or if only coasting?

Do a dry steering test and look for play in the tie rod ends. Steering. Control arm bushings and track bar both ends. Also inspect the frame.
Check all your u joints in axels and drive shafts.

As mark mentioned jack it up and check ball joints and wheel bearings. Lug nuts...
Then with the engine on rev it a few times from idle and look at the engine mounts. And transmission movement.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

Thanks all for your advice. I have checked the lug nuts, etc. I just bought this Jeep and what I have noticed is that the previous owner has removed the front prop shaft for some reason. Could this cause the shaking and vibration? It doesnt shake when braking at all, only when coasting.

No driveshaft should not be an issue. It may be if reconnected.

If it shakes only when coasting but not when braking if starts with closely looking at the wheel bearings.

Any noises with the vibrations?

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

Back