ABS brakes acting wonky

sirstv

1994 ZJ Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2L. When I press down on my brakes after I hit a bump, small pothole, etc my abs kicks in on the front passenger side only. The light never comes on. Also we have minor flooding here and when I go through it my ABS starts kicking on in the same front passenger side every time I press down until dried out. Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I learned my lesson driving through a somewhat unavoidable flash flood. Don't do it.

Are you sure it's ABS and not a warped rotor?
This only happens when wet or after a bump?

Check the connectors and wires at the wheel. If it looses contact it may see that as an abrupt change in speed and activate ABS to keep the brakes from locking and skidding/loosing traction.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

Yeah it’s weird because when it snows they all work fine but sometimes when I hit a bump the one just kicks in.

The rotors, brakes, and the calipers have been replaced recently trying to fix this but didn’t help.

After I go through the water I have to continually stomp on the brakes to get it to semi stop the abs working every stop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That sounds like a bad speed sensor or a issue in the speed sensor wiring.
You should be able to ohm out the sensor and verify voltage at the connector with a multimeter. That should narrow it down to sensor or wiring/controller. I'll post back

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

That sounds like a bad speed sensor or a issue in the speed sensor wiring.
You should be able to ohm out the sensor and verify voltage at the connector with a multimeter. That should narrow it down to sensor or wiring/controller. I'll post back

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

Thanks I’ll try that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Resistance should be 900-1300 ohms for a good sensor.
The voltage with key on should be ... Looking at least 5v

The ABS sensor and tone ring should be easily viewed behind the wheel. Be sure the ring is clean and not cracked or missing teeth. There should be a gap that is clean.
I hear there is electrical cleaner you could use but I'd rather replace it if it comes to cleaning all the time.

Buy only OEM sensors. At a minimum check the resistance in the store as many are bad out of the box. Cheap knock-off parts.

Also if you could buy a factory service manual you will have the cheapest answers to 95% of your issues. But please ask away.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Back