96 Grand Cherokee Laredo Noise and smoke from my engine.

Dave K

Hello,
First off I would like to thank all the folks who gave me guidance on my Jeep in the past. Saturday while leaving work in -2 degree temps, I let my 96 Grand Cherokee Laredo (ZJ) warm up for about 10-15 minutes, and started for home. Was driving around 25-45 mph on a hilly terrain. My temp gage did a sudden spike, and went back down to normal, my accelerator started with a "ticking" sound (any time I pressed on the gas) didn't sound right, was looking to pull into a gas station when the car suddenly felt like I was driving over multiple rumble strips. Pulled over at that point opened my hood and had smoke coming out of the area just to the right of my water pump, a small puddle of oil(around a paper plate size) was under the engine. As of today oil level needs to add a quart or two. the car starts but has a loud clanking noise while it is running. Any guidance will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave

The clacking sound isn't good and could be a few bad things. Spun a bearing, cracked head, blown head gasket. You said you are one to two courts low on oil. What does it look like. Look at the underside of the 710 filler cap. How is your coolant level? What does it look like?
Is there a heavy amount of vapor or water coming out of the tailpipe when running?

After the above I would do a compression test. Look at each plug when doing the testing. Post up picks of where the water came from, oil came from, plugs and compression readings.

What motor?

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Sir,
The oil was black (but it was due for an oil change). The underside of the 710 filler cap had black oil on it but nothing unusual about it, the coolant level was fine, (changed the water pump in September, the coolant was a little slushy because of the temps). nothing seems to be coming out from the exhaust. My actron pocketscan didn't put out any code even though my jeep says to check gauges.
Thank you again for any guidance you can spare,
Dave

First if you mix the coolant properly there should be no slush. At least not until -30. Your not in an area that is -30, are you?

Second I had the check gauges right before overheating. You might consider spiking or changing your coolant.

Still the clacking sound isn't good. Have you performed a compression test?

Two other possibilities. Broken rod or broken piston.

Are you still leaking fluids?

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

Last edited:

I tried to do a compression test, the item didn't register anything (it wasn't turning well). I'm going to drain the oil tomorrow, and take the oil pan off and check the bearings. (the jeeps in need of an oil change anyways) there was a little oil droppings in the front driver side of the engine. (around the area that was smoking near the water pump, but not the water pump).
Thanks for the Help,
Dave

Was it definitely smoke?

Is it possible when you overheated the smoke/steam from near the right side (drivers side?) was from the expansion tank overflowing?

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

It's the first piston, after taking out the oil pan I tried to move the pistons. None of them moved except for the 1st one. I'm going to have to come in from the top but the piston's arm moved freely which sound like the clanking that I was hearing. Also I found a small handful of broken metal in the oil pan just below #1. Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but I spent a day & 1/2 (roughly 5 hours) trying to get the final bolt out of the oil pan. (buried by the exhaust pipe and fuel lines)
Thanks,
Dave.

Sorry to hear that. Broken piston skirt.
Well at least you found it and hopefully it is an easy fix.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

Back